pregnancy post c-diff

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Kate33
New User

pregnancy post c-diff

Postby Kate33 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:42 pm

I gave birth to my daughter in September 2011 and contacted c diff after taking antibiotics for mastitis in December 2011. I had recurring c diff for 6 months, but have been testing negative for 10 months (I have post-infectious IBS though). I am so grateful everyday to have my health back. My daughter is now 18 months and my husband and I are hoping to have another child. However, I am really scared that I will get c diff again. Just wondering, has anyone here who has battled c diff and recovered become pregnant and stayed healthy throughout the pregnancy and post partum?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: pregnancy post c-diff

Postby Bobbie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:47 pm

Several posters have had several babies. Hopefully, some will answer you. If not, do a search on this site with "pregnancy" and other applicable terms and you might get some posters' names. PM or Email them.

Ekelly
Brand New Poster

Postby Ekelly » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 am

I had back to back bouts of cdiff in 2010, April then July.
Still not sure exactly how I got it but I had visited a relative in a nursing home, had a minor pelvic procedure to remove a cyst, and had been through an ivf cycle. One small dose of antibiotic around that time. Seems like any one of these things could have exposed me to spores.

Two years later i had a successful ivf. I am now 41 weeks pregnant, waiting for labor to start. Had a terrific pregnancy --- no big complaints, and nothing cdiff related at all. Good luck to you!!!

I am on the site looking for info about factors to consider if it comes own to induction or c section.

Kate33
New User

Postby Kate33 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Congratulations Ekelly on your pregnancy! Thank you for your post; it is extremely encouraging for me. Are you taking any probiotics right now? I take 2 VSL #3 and 2 Florastor every day and drink kefir every morning. I checked with my doctors and they told me probiotics are safe during pregnancy; you may want to ask your doctors and take the probiotics prophylactically. I had a vaginal birth with my daughter in September 2011, but I am worried about the potential for a c-section with a second pregnancy or getting something like mastitis again and having to take antibiotics. Good luck to you and your new baby!

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:09 pm

A fellow teacher had c-diff about the same time as I did. It took her three rounds of Vanco, but she got rid of it. She now has a new baby at her house with no pro less at all. I wish the same for you.
Anne

Ekelly
Brand New Poster

Postby Ekelly » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Kate,

Yes I took probiotics throughout the pregnancy. I also stopped eating gluten which was causing inflammation, and that's a big relief. Ive I had a very healthy pregnancy, no discomfort, good energy, no heart burn or bloating.....

Now I am to be induced and we will see how things go.

My major concern (confirmed with my infectious disease dr with whom I do a reality check any time antibiotics are possible) is that an emergency C section will mean antibiotics and we are more susceptible to getting cdiff again once we've had it. So my infect dis dr gave me a list of three ABs to avoid if surgery becomes necessary. And, god forbid. If I were to get cdiff again I would not be able to breast feed while on the Vanco/Flagyl, or for months after. Of course you can also imagine how crappy it would feel to manage cdiff diarrheal and the exhausting mess with a new born. Fingers crossed!

Avoiding:Cypro, levaquin, chlendemicin. (Spellings?)

Karen29and39
New User

Postby Karen29and39 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi Kate,
I also had a baby post c.diff (round 1 that is). I did a successful round of infusions in 2004 and had a beautiful baby in 2008. I had severe morning sickness and lost weight, but once I started to gain all was good. I tolerated the prenatal vitamin and ate what I could tolerate due to my other gi infection. I had a c-section and was so scared of the antibiotics and the hospital stay. I talked to my ob/gyn, we made a plan and we did without. I was monitored close for infection, but all went so well.

I was healthy post partum and breast feed. Good Luck! I hope it goes so well for you.

Karen

Return to “Success Stories”