Home free, I believe!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
RachelBR
Brand New Poster

Home free, I believe!

Postby RachelBR » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:41 am

Hello All! I am back and posting in the Success Stories now! I have changed my user name only for the purpose of giving hope and positivity to others (hope that isn't a problem). My previous name was "scaredtobehere", so if you need to look up any old posts for any reason, that's the one to find. It is too negative of a name and I just can't stand it anymore. Because...

I have come through my 4.5 month battle with C. Diff and am now nearly 3 months free from that horrible monster! My story in a super quick nutshell: It all began in September 2012 with an ill prescribed Augmentin (which I found I was also allergic to). There was no reason for the antibiotic. Just a doctor's refusal to see the real picture and her habit of prescribing medication willy-nilly. 3 weeks later, I was terribly ill. My general practitioner knew right away that it was C. Diff. He put me on Flagyl but the side effects became so extreme after 5 days that we quit. He said, "Fingers crossed that it is all gone". Nope! 7 days later I was more ill than before so we went on 20 days of Vanco. 7 days after coming off Vanco, I relapsed. I said enough is enough, give me the real stuff. My doctor agreed and I went onto 10 days of Dificid. Whew! That did it for me! I struggled for several weeks with irritable bowel issues but my test came back clean. I had also developed proctitis from the bacteria and I struggled with that for a couple of months off and on. I stuck with my probiotics and some digestive enzymes and by the end of the first month, I could eat everything I could before. Sometimes, my system will complain for no known reason, but I don't worry about it anymore. It is what it is and I know it takes a year to fully recover. C Diff doesn't scare me anymore. Even if I get it again, it has no hold on me!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Home free, I believe!

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:15 am

congrats & thanks for posting. Do try not ake antibiotics again unless forced to do so.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:37 am

That's great news and thanks for posting and giving hope and encouragement to those still suffering.

Did you take prescription digestive enzymes or the OTC ones you can get at health food stores?

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:01 am

Your post is well received!!!! It gives hope to newcomers on this site.
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

johnnymacc
Regular User

Postby johnnymacc » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Thank you for your story! You give me hope! Your comments about the proctitis is what I may be dealing with right now. Can you explain your symptoms of that??? Thanks!!!

I am now 15 days post Dificid and am wondering if I should test again. How soon did you re-test after stopping the Dificid???

czeigl71
Brand New Poster

Postby czeigl71 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Thanks for the post... I feel I could take your old name over as that is where I am. Finished two rounds of Flagyl and lasted only 5 days and am sick again. Doctor would not order meds today so I have to go in tomorrow... I only had one test in the beginning and he has never requested a second one. At least I feel a little hope and as I am feeling really down about this whole thing but I am the new kid on the block.

Tinkerbelle
New User

Postby Tinkerbelle » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:42 am

I had c-diff three times since last August after taking Clindamycin for dental surgery. Tested negative last December. Still have one or two watery d attacks in the a.m. But nothing else the remainder of the day. Since February I have been experiencing rectal pain and pressure. Can you please tell me more about your proctitis as I think I may have it. Seeing a colorectal surgeon on July 15th. Thank you!

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Tinkerbelle, this is an old post from 2013, so RachelBR may not be on the board anymore. You could try sending her a PM, but she may not get it.
Bea

Italia
Regular User

Postby Italia » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi i red your history and i would to thank you!
Im italian and i was so scared about c.diff i was on panic for about 6 month
Bobbie knows my history and she can speks for me....i can not write english
im improve that!
Im so scared too and i fid 3 round on vanco and then i did a round with vanco+normix ( togheter) ....that's a BOMB drug! So powerrfull but so strong.
We all can say i fight c.diff!
We all can stay positive and if c.diff return we all can fight!
I have crohn desease too and its still so difficult but WANT LIVE MY LIFE
I pray god and i pray for all of us.( im not very religious before c.diff but when i stat to prey i dtst to stay well)

Thank for your post.

Return to “Success Stories”