VSL#3 after CDiff goes inactive?

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Nan
Regular Contributor

VSL#3 after CDiff goes inactive?

Postby Nan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone on these boards has stayed on VSL#3 long term after relapsing Cdiff was finally inactive? I was taking the prescription strength dose (2 packs/day) which I think finally helped me in addition to two plus years of taper and pulse dosing vanco. (Looking back I had mild symptoms even before the Cllndamycin that did me in.) I gradually reduced the VSL and have been taking the 225 billion dose for a couple of years now. I am planning on reducing that in half again, but am afraid of going too low, (as I had symptoms before the Clindamycin) Clean colonoscopy and doc is OK with VSL. Also wondering what effect staying on VSL very long term will do to my body. I feel fine on VSL, better than ever with no side effects, but again, I am very afraid to go off or even go to low a dose of VSL. Anyone with experience or thoughts?

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: VSL#3 after CDiff goes inactive?

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:53 pm

I take VSL capsules, one a day and another probiotic, Florastor. I also alternate the VSl with another high powered probiotic and have taken them now going on two years. I had recurring CDiff and was hospitalized, had a really tough case. I am finally med free after almost 10 months and the GI told me to stay on the probiotics for life since I had such a bad case. He said I wouldn't get any extra benefit after all this time but it would keep my guts stable. I think this is a controversial subject and not all Drs. agree but mine told me to stay on them the rest of my life. Its a small price to pay and if it keeps the Cdiff away I'll gladly take them. As long as your Doc is ok with it and you feel fine I say go for it. Carol
CAROL

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:13 pm

I took VSL#3, one capsule a day, for a couple of years after recovering from cdiff. Then I stopped for a couple of years, mostly due to the cost. It's now almost 7 years after I recovered. But because I am still having some GI issues (mostly occasional D), my primary care doc suggested that I take it again. I have been taking one capsule every other day for a couple of years. Maybe it helps, maybe not, hard to say.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:19 am

I can't tolerate probiotics well at all, so I take only part of a capsule of VSL#3 - actually a very small amount. I have been doing it since my FT in Feb. 2010. I forgot to take them on a trip that I took for a week and I felt terrible and got D, so for me it is worth it too. My GI knows and says to keep taking it.

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Postby JoElizabeth » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:43 am

Can you guys tell me what dosage of VSL3 that you all take? I buy my VSL3 at Costco so it's the lower dosage and I still take just one or two a day along with some yogurt. What dosages do you take and where do you purchase your VSL3?

Thanks!

jo

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 am

Jo, Its the capsules I take, they are 225 Billion. I get them at the compounding pharmacy and they are refrigerated. I think you can order them online also at Amazon etc. Carol
CAROL

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 am

I forgot, I only take one a day and alternate with Inate Ultra Flora, from the same pharmacy and I take one Florastor a day. The GI told me to stay on them for life, since I had such a bad case of CDiff.
CAROL

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Jo, I take the same capsules that Carol does. My local pharmacy orders them for me. It only takes a day for them to arrive, and they hold them in their frig for me until I come to pick them up.

Nan
Regular Contributor

Postby Nan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:14 pm

I will stay on the VSL, just not sure about decreasing dose. I have been taking the 225 billion dose and was hoping to decrease to 112.5 billion for cost alone as I purchase from their website ($52 for bottle of 60, plus ship and tax, little cheaper if buy multiple bottles). Is it cheaper to purchase from both a compounding pharmacy and from one’s local pharmacy than from their site? Also I didn’t realize the capsules came in 225, or is that just because a pharmacy can get and/or make that dosage?

Nan
Regular Contributor

Postby Nan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 pm

I read this somewhere a while back and does anyone know if it is true? VSL#3 container says good for 1 week at room temp. I read somewhere else that if it goes to room temp it will only last a week, even if you refrigerate it later, as the bacteria start to activate and once that process begins, it is still only good for a week, refrigerated or not. True, not true? I am super paranoid about keeping my cold at all times.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm

I get mine at the Ralphs market pharmacy. It is about $50 or $52 a bottle, but I don't even take one capsule a day. I just empty out part on some applesauce. I only use one or two capsules a week. I keep mine refrigerated at all times, but if you needed to take them to work or if you go out, that shouldn't be a problem. Also, if you go on vacation, you could keep them out. I would take just enough with me for however long you are going to be gone.

The capsules are 225 per serving I believe (don't have the container here at work), and two capsules are considered one serving, so one capsule must be half of that.

musicmamma
Brand New Poster

Postby musicmamma » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:28 pm

What is VSL? Sorry - but I am new to this forum. Is it a pro-biotic?

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Yes, it is a high powered probiotic that has to be refrigerated. It has good reviews from pharmacists and Dr.s alike. Its expensive but worth it.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:24 pm

VSl3 usually has "more bang for the buck" if purchased in packets rather than in capsules. I buy from company but am always going to compare prices on some of other sites like Amazon. Try to take with bottled (not tap) water as chlorine in tap can kill some of bacteria. Always space as far apart from antibiotics as possible as bacteria in antibiotics will kill some of "good."

Return to “Success Stories”