Two Years Later

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
zoomcat
New User

Two Years Later

Postby zoomcat » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:31 pm

I was on this site two years ago battling my 7 month ordeal with C diff. I know I had it easy compared to some on here, but there were definitely days when I thought it would never end. This site was a big help and I was glad to know I wasn't the only going through it.

I want to ask others who have been through it and recovered - how long does it take to really get back to normal? I still have a hard time with raw vegtables and fiber. I really want to eat healthy, but it can be extremely painful and noisy! I have been investigating a glutten free diet. I read on here where some may think there is a link between C diff and celiac disease. Would love to hear thoughts on that before I visit my GI again. My general practioner always waves me off and says it just take a long time to get back to normal.

Nancy1
Administrator

Re: Two Years Later

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:23 am

I recovered from cdiff 6 years ago and still can't eat much in the way of raw vegetables or fiber. I think it has permanently changed my innards. I used to really like all kinds of fiber and I miss it. I have to eat very small amounts of corn, spinach, blueberries, and the like, or I have problems. Even lettuce bothers me. (I couldn't eat any corn or spinach for years.)

I don't know about a link between celiac disease and cdiff. I don't seem to have any problems with gluten. Good luck.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:19 pm

I've had C. diff. numerous times but have been able to tolerate salads, fresh veggies, etc.,but as are all different. I'd see a dietician.

Patient2apoint
New User

Postby Patient2apoint » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:54 pm

You are not alone. I have a reaction to raw vegetables, less so with cooked vegetables. I took fiber for many years before cdiff, and I can no longer tolerate it. Same with nuts and even peanut butter. I'm thinking a dietician might be helpful for me, as well, especially because i amnot sure sure which foods cause bowel trouble and/or noise. My next step will probably be a dietician as my doctor has not been too helpful about this. The noise alone is embarrassing and sometimes worrying (you can't always tell if it's more than just noise). Off and on, I still need Hyoscyamine (0.125mg sublingual) for IBS cramps, pain, "nervousness" or activity in the colon-not just noise. But, I need a nap after every dose.
I have been free of Vanco for over 6 months and I thought that contributed its own symptoms (but it DID control cdiff's "D"). I believe some probiotics calm things sometimes, but, given the unpredictability of symptoms, I am not really sure. I rely on rice a lot with meals and have since all of this began 2 years ago. Hope this helped. Good luck. J-

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Do check with a dietitian - get a script from your doc - insurance might help pay for it.

"Normal is variable" and differs with each individual.

Return to “Success Stories”