6 weeks C Diff free after reoccurrence

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
kenfred1
Brand New Poster

6 weeks C Diff free after reoccurrence

Postby kenfred1 » Wed May 17, 2023 8:17 pm

I’m 62 and generally healthy. Never had an intestinal issue. Went to the ER on Jan 2, a CT scan revealed Diverticulitis. They sent me home with a 2 week course of antibiotics. 4 days after completing them, I developed significant D, my stomach was tender, I was nauseous, and had no appetite. Went to my general doc and he suspected a bacterial infection called C Diff (I’d never heard of it). He ordered a stool sample and the results confirmed I was positive. He put me on 10 days of Vancomycin. 4 days after completing the meds, the C Diff returned. He then put me on a Vancomycin taper/pulse. 14 days of 4 pills/day. Then 3 pills/day for a week, 2 pills/day for a week, 1 pill/day for a week, 1 pill every other day for a week and 1 every 3 days for a week. A few days before I started the taper/pulse, a friend recommended I read a book entitled The Makers Diet. It totally changed my outlook on food and health in general. I began eating organic, healthy foods, grass fed meets, etc. No sugars or processed stuff and no alcohol. After a month wait on 3/9, I got in to see the GI doc. He told me that if I had another reoccurrence he would set me up for a fecal transplant. I felt relieved to have a plan in place in case I needed it. Long story short and after doing much research I settled into the following daily routine. A morning drink including whole organic fiber and organic superfood. I take 3 daily Saccharomyces Boulardii (florastar), 1 Brocco Max, 1 Allicidan, and 1 Bio Sponge. I also added daily helpings of Kefir, organic yogurt, and lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. I like to use the Bobby Approved App (Flavcity) at the store which identifies foods that are good for you (or bad for you). I also started walking at least 30-45 minutes each day. If the C Diff is to come back, I want my cells as healthy as possible to help fight it off. I finished the taper/pulse meds on 4/5 and it appears the C Diff may be under control. I am now clear 6 weeks and I pray it is gone for good. I suggest eating healthy and include fermented foods like sauerkraut, yogurt and kefir. Take a probiotic (I heard a doc say Sacchromyces Boulardi is the probiotic of choice for C Diff) and get a little exercise. I know I’m not out of the woods but feeling grateful at this point. Keep battling.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: 6 weeks C Diff free after reoccurrence

Postby beth22 » Thu May 18, 2023 12:58 am

Thank you for sharing your story. It gives encouragement to others. I hope the c difficile is gone for good for you and glad your new diet and exercise plan helped.

kenfred1
Brand New Poster

Re: 6 weeks C Diff free after reoccurrence

Postby kenfred1 » Thu May 18, 2023 10:00 am

Thank you.

Return to “Success Stories”