C-diff free since Sept 12, 2017. Symptom and IBS free, no dietary restrictions.

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: C-diff free since Sept 12, 2017. Symptom and IBS free, no dietary restrictions.

Postby Machaon » Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:32 am

Thanks, Beth, for your reply. I've read that antibiotics like Clindamycin, Cephalosporins, Penicillins and Fluoroquinolones are more likely to cause C-diff. because they destroy some of the helpful bacteria that can keep C-diff in check.

If I ever took Clindamycin again, I would think that I would suffer from C-diff again. But why have I been able to take cephalexin and also amoxicillin without a reoccurrence? I never want to chance another antibiotic again, NEVER! But... sometimes we have no choice!

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: C-diff free since Sept 12, 2017. Symptom and IBS free, no dietary restrictions.

Postby NanciT » Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:13 pm

Good to see you on here Bob! It's been awhile! I recall how well you did with treatment and then post eating very well, I was always amazed by that!!

I think with antibiotics its very individual. I recall taking Keflex after my year( 2014-2015) with CDIFF ( about 8 months later) and took it for 5 days, did fine.

In 2020 we tried again after a bad UTI and I got CDIFF. My Infectious Disease doctor had no idea why I would get it in 2020 when I did fine 2016. It is a known high offender but I was shocked because years had passed. Both times I was on probiotics.

Glad to hear you did well!!

Wishing you continued health!

NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:37 pm

Hi Nancy! I apologize for not responding sooner. I am not getting notified of replies.

It's now been two weeks since stopping cephalexin and still no sign of c-diff.

I am sorry that you were infected again with c-diff, after taking an antibiotic! It puts your back against the wall if you get another UTI or other infection. What choices do you have? You can't ignore the infection!

I assume that you are free from c-diff at this time. How long did it take you to get rid of c-diff, and how did you do it? It had to be awfully depressing getting c-diff again!

I wish you the best of health and, especially, NO MORE C-DIFF!
Male 77 S.Florida

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:47 pm

Things were much different the 2nd time I had it, it had been nearly 4 years so I thought I was in the clear. I have an ID now so he quickly put me on a taper of Dificid, It worked.
Sadly nearly a 9 months after than I got another infection, but this time I landed in the hospital with Sepsis so it was IV antibiotics Got CDIFF again. It was REALLY BAD, I slept in the bathroom for 3 days until Dificid kicked in.

I got through it, that was 2020, still have IBS but getting through. Two long tapers of Dificid is harsh but the only thing that works for me.

Thanks for checking back, so happy to hear you are well!

NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:10 pm

Hi Nancy! Once again, I apologize for not responding sooner. I am not getting notified of replies.

You went thru quite a nightmare! C-diff is bad enough, but sepsis too!? That had to be frightening. Sepsis can be life threatening!

Sorry to hear about the IBS, but at least it isn't C-diff. Hopefully no more C-diff, no more sepsis, no more problems!

Nov 2000, my wife was throwing up nonstop. I finally convinced her to go the the ER. They found a bowel obstruction, operated on it, and took a biopsy. At home later, I was reading thru the doctor notes and saw the term adenocarcinoma. Wow! Talk about getting blindsided! She wound up with two primary stage 3c cancers, Ovarian and Colon along with sepsis. 20 chemos later, she is in remission.

Every time we watch a movie, or watch the news, or watch a reality show, somehow, someway someone has cancer or is associated with someone with cancer. Sherry keeps remarking that she just can't get away from it!

Regards, best of health and luck to you! Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:13 pm

Bob

So sorry to hear about all your wife went through, good to hear she completed Chemo and is doing well.

Wishing you both continued HEALTH!!

NanciT

Return to “Success Stories”