1 year on - Success Story

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
leegx
New User

1 year on - Success Story

Postby leegx » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:55 pm

Hi all
27 year old male, from the UK.

Background: Infected with c-diff back in January 2020 after being provided antibiotics (clindamycin I believe) from Thailand during a covid infection, however wasn't diagnosed with the active cdiff until mid February. Main symptoms were frequent BM & D (7+ times per day), stomach pain, fatigue and just feeling very ill. On top of that I developed severe health anxiety (heart palpitations & become really anxious) I lost 3+ stone in weight and never thought I'd ever recover. I still believe c-diff triggered my heart palpitations originally, but the doctors say it can't.
I has 2 courses of Flagyl and 1 taper course of Vanco. Whilst I started to recover on antibiotics, I still felt extremely ill for months.
I honestly never thought I'd recover, almost any food would trigger D. I was diagnosed with PI-IBS.

It's now January 2021 and I wish to thank everyone on this site for support and knowledge. I'm now feeling 99.9% better, my IBS is under control and my weakness/ tiredness has gone.
I'm on Amitriptyline 10mg daily for my IBS and it's changed my life. I'm down to 1-2 daily (normal) BM for the first time in 1 year.
The point is there is light at the end of the tunnel, no matter how bad it seems right now.
I used to cry daily thinking I was going to be ill like that for life.. but it gets better. I'm off the proponalol, off the setraline and now just taking the 10mg Amitriptyline to manage my IBS.
That's a great success for me.

The other thing that has really helped is Kefir drinks and a healthy diet. I was on Fodmap for so many months! But now I'm back to a normal varied diet.

Thanks again everyone and I hope people can see this as some encouragement.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: 1 year on - Success Story

Postby NanciT » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:30 pm

Great news, thanks for posting! So happy your recovery is well under way!

Best to you

NanciT

Annh
Brand New Poster

Postby Annh » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:51 am

Just a note regarding palpitations/anxiety and C diff. I've had anxiety with panic attacks for years (mostly controlled by low-dose Citalopram) and have learned indisputably that there's a STRONG, two-way connection between panic feelings (the horrific waves of heat, shivers, goosebumps, uncontrollable dread, etc) and my gut. I say it's a two-way street, but mainly the gut is in charge. When I get spooked by something it does sometimes cause my gut to freak out, but INVARIABLY, every time, that I have a gastro disease the pain and cramping and even just material movement inside absolutely trigger the panic symptoms. In fact, during this delightful C-diff that I recently picked up, my gut is so sensitive and upset that I can simply pay attention to those panic feelings and know I have a BM coming up. Delightful, eh? The first day of my relapse before I was able to start Vancomycin was HOURS of endless panic waves. Very biologically caused. I just have to sit there like :/ through them while my body's like "I'm on a rollercoaster! Whee! Oh let's do goosebumps and shivers now! Hah, time for existential dread! Ooh, more rollercoaster!" Gee whiz.

I think there's just a very strong connection with the gut nerves, or other nerves the colon is near, and whatever nervous system procedure triggers panic and anxiety. I 100% believe you about the C diff triggering your palpitations and think the docs are just completely wrong.

Anyone else experienced this, or know more about it? (And yes, I re-increased my Citalopram that I HAD been tapering off of. One medical issue at a time please, body... Buffering a bit better against the panic is a good idea until I'm recovered, whenever that is!)

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 am

Wonderful news! And sure it will give hope to those going through the hellishness right now.

(Also totally agree re: palpitations. Docs will blame almost anything they can’t explain on ‘anxiety’ but we know our bodies and they’ve got the cause and effect the wrong way round. Exactly the same thing happened to me with C Diff and they disappeared with proper treatment, plus my mood totally stabilised - until I got another infection and the palpitations have started up again. It all starts with the gut!)

Wishing you continued good health.
Contracted C Diff from a round of Flucloxacillin, November 2020.

Metronidazole - Metronidazole - Dificid - Dificid - Vancomycin - Upper GI FMT - Vancomycin - Vancomycin - Lower GI FMT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:51 pm

You can get palpitations when you have an infection, whether bacterial or viral. I don't understand why doctors dismiss it. I get them when I have a virus like a flu and I also had them with c difficile. I, too, have had the flushing, goosebumps, roller coaster type feeling when I have had GI issues. There must be some connection with the nerve endings as you say. It still happens to me now after c diff at times.

GtrGrl
Regular Contributor

Postby GtrGrl » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:03 pm

Roller coaster type feeling is such a good description!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:19 am

It's a proven fact, there's a gut brain connection.
The gut has brain cells distributed inside us as part of its make up.
If all were in one place they would form a mass the size of a cats brain.
These cells react to seratonin, adrenalin and all the other hormones and are responsible for the butterfly of flip feelings we get when frightened.
In fact if someone's brain dead the gut brain keeps going and digestion etc continues with no input from the head brain.
Anxiety meds are often prescribed for gut problems.

Return to “Success Stories”