Update for diet only recovery

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
tomb523
New User

Update for diet only recovery

Postby tomb523 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:13 am

I missed posting last week, but have posted before about fixing my c.diff with diet alone as my case is mild. On the recommendation of a friend who also went through this (she took the antibiotics and her case was worse), I started taking a new pro/pre biotic which had added MOS. I didn't know what that was at first but I was already taking something similar (OOS) so now I'm doing both. I'm eating primarily vegetarian now to "flood my system" with more fiber. White rice is supposed to be good for binding up the spores and such and taking them out.

Bottom line over that last 3 or 4 weeks has been zero watery BM's, pudding poo is all but gone. I am far more flatulent, but without any "surprises". One thing I did notice and I'm really intrigued. For the years that I've been plagued by the pudding poo and occasional watery movement, there was never very much odor associated to the BM's or gas. I honestly didn't pay any attention to it, but since I've changed over my diet, the "familiar" odor has returned. As this is accompanied by what I perceive as an improving gut, I'm thinking the lack of odor may be a sign of an unhealthy gut!?

Anyway, I'm not ready to proclaim myself healed. I will return to the doc after the first of the year to be retested, but things are still progressing so I will continue this path.

roy
Administrator

Re: Update for diet only recovery

Postby roy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:07 pm

Testing if you don't have symptoms is wrong!
C. Diff is a natural and normal gut inhabitant.
It's only a disease if something causes it to overgrown (antibiotic use).
If your gut flora is healthy it keeps c. Diff under control.
Nature knows best and fights hard to keep your gut ballanced, overloading with commercial probiotics (read that as untested medication) might not be a good idea.

Graceann
Brand New Poster

Postby Graceann » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:38 pm

Has anyone let C Diff run it's course? Meaning waiting until the good bacteria repopulate enough to keep c diff in balance without any antibiotics or store bought probiotics.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:50 am

Not advisable if you have symptoms.
My Mom relapsed multiple times and the Dr stopped treatment to "see what happens".
She died!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:21 pm

If you don't have symptoms,or only mild symptoms, doctors usually don't treat anyway. I tested positive and my doctor did not treat because I did not really have symptoms after a couple of days of diarrhea. I took some Pepto Bismol. It is not good to overtreat - for example you test positive, but don't have symptoms. But, as Roy said, if you do have them and don't treat, it could wind up going very badly.

Graceann
Brand New Poster

Postby Graceann » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:48 am

Graceann wrote:
> Has anyone let C Diff run it's course? Meaning waiting until the good
> bacteria repopulate enough to keep c diff in balance without any
> antibiotics or store bought probiotics.

Sorry about your mom. Saw a website about Peggy Illis foundation. She passed away from c diff
I went to the Er after a week and a half of symptoms. Was prescribed vancomycin 10 days. Don't feel good on it in addition to c diff. symptoms. Studying the stories on the website started by her sons.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:54 am

I fought it for around 2 weeks before I caved and went to the ER. I found this site and started taking florastor and it briefly got better, then all hell broke loose. A work friends wife beat it with L rehuteri and glycerin powder. There’s actually a study that the two combined are as effective as vanco. I recently took a zpak and used that combo and no cdiff. I’m not saying to take that instead of a prescription but anytime I’m prescribed antibiotics I’ll be mixing the two.

PamO
New User

Postby PamO » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:49 pm

D1dad - That is interesting. I am assuming you mean L Reuteri and Glycerol (?), if so, how do you take this? I have also read that this seems to be very effective against CDiff while leaving the other bacteria intact. It would be a good feeling to have something to take preventatively if/when antibiotics are needed.

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/prob ... -difficile
Last edited by PamO on Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PamO
New User

Postby PamO » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:59 pm

[quote="PamO"]D1dad - That is interesting. I am assuming you mean L Reuteri and Glycerol (?), if so, how do you take this? I have also read that this seems to be very effective agains CDiff while leaving the other bacteria intact. It would be a good feeling to have something to take preventatively if/when antibiotics are needed.[/quote]

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/prob ... -difficile

Return to “Success Stories”