No such thing as a 'normal' recovery - 11 weeks post

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
speg
New User

No such thing as a 'normal' recovery - 11 weeks post

Postby speg » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Well I'm 11 weeks since my last Vancomycin dose and it's been a unique (and some times miserable) experience. I hope I'm not too preemptive in saying that my doctor now considers me "clinically cured". One thing I can say is this disease has left a lasting impact in the form of health care anxiety, budgeting for bleach & probiotics, and now the joy of hemhorroids/fissure that I didn't even manage to have post delivery of my baby. While the cdiff may be in remission, my body is still reeling.

So thankful for everyone who has helped me stop and think about the trauma my body went through in the past 4 months (and the 7 months before that while pregnant) and the reminders that this is a new normal, to be patient with myself and the healing process of my body. There truly is no normal in or after the recovery of cdiff. it has changed so much about my gut/life/future medical decisions. Here's wishing anyone else struggling through this continued progress and good health.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: No such thing as a 'normal' recovery - 11 weeks post

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:50 pm

I'm glad that you are doing better and hopefully this coming year will bring you good health and the leftover symptoms will subside over time.

speg
New User

Postby speg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:04 pm

Another 5 weeks and more slow clearing of symptoms. Other than continuing to get sick every single time we go visit friends/family (I'm guessing I've got the immune system of either a baby or a geriatric at this point) all has been a steady incline. We did find out that my son has a protein allergy to milk and possibly soy/gluten. So I have done yet another rehauling of my diet -- and honestly it may actually have helped lingering symptoms and/or inflammation. I do miss a slice of pizza and cheesey alfrado pasta.

BRITTNEY
Brand New Poster

Postby BRITTNEY » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:20 am

Hello, I'm new the group. I have been batting C diff for 3 months now. I'm 37-year-old female with no past medical issues. I have relapsed 3 times on between Vanco and Flagyl. I started having symptoms in November, which were somewhat mild. My cdiff test came out negative back then. and was given flagyl and cipro, they thought it was a bacterial infection. I do believe it was CDIFF the whole time. My symptoms were the same. Lots of Diarrhea several times a day, I have been taking florastor and other probiotics to try to help this. I'm waiting on getting Dificid, My DR thinks that I could be just shedding, even though my diarrhea returned, and I have a positive CDIFF test. Right now, I'm taking Cloyestramine and that seems to be helping the diarrhea I don't think this is a cure, but I'm not having any diarrhea for the last few days. I'm wondering has anyone been prescribed Choylestramine for Cdiff? and has anyone experiences shedding? I'm so confused and I feel that I have not been taking very serious hence the miss diagnoses and took so long for Dr.to find this. I feel that my age and that I'm a healthy has not gotten the attention that I needed. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brittney

speg
New User

Postby speg » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Another 7 weeks post Cdiff treatment. I am happy to say that all my GI symptoms have cleared (although I will say that #2's are not at all like they were pre-cdiff, but they are consistent and if a poo can be so -- pleasant). I have gained back 5 lbs, and honestly very happy at this weight so am gonna try to maintain this!

A few odd things have popped up though. I had 0 skin conditions prior to cdiff or treatment or pregnancy and now I have small spots of what appear to be psoraisis near elbows/knees. This is worrisome for me as my mother had very very severe psoriatic disease. My son also is showing signs of skin issues and food allergies and I wonder if somehow they are linked to my poor gut health, my use of antibiotics having poor gut health, or his multiple exposures to antibiotics via me and in the NICU. He seems to be allergic to so many foods we try and has never been 100% clear despite massive changes in my diet (elimination of top 8 food allergens, temporary elimination of beef and gluten). So hard to tell since testing is inaccurate at this stage. I can't help but think that my Cdiff played a role in his ongoing digestive/growth/allergies. Ah the mom guilt.

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:35 pm

I also had c diff 8 months pregnant. I was on many antibiotics throughout my pregnancy. I relapsed twice after he was born and was put on vanco. My son has had terrible skin rashes. I too eliminated many allergic foods. He is mainly allergic to eggs. He is 8 months and I'm scared to have him try new foods. I too feel guilty I did this to him. I give him probiotics too and that seems to help.

Mmp
Regular User

Postby Mmp » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 pm

I also had c diff 8 months pregnant. I was on many antibiotics throughout my pregnancy. I relapsed twice after he was born and was put on vanco. My son has had terrible skin rashes. I too eliminated many allergic foods. He is mainly allergic to eggs. He is 8 months and I'm scared to have him try new foods. I too feel guilty I did this to him. I give him probiotics too and that seems to help.

Return to “Success Stories”