newly diagnosed

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
gent76
New User

newly diagnosed

Postby gent76 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:01 pm

Hello-

My story:

December 2007 - Went into ER with appendicitis like pains. CT scan showed miled imflamation of cecum (area of large intestine next to appendix). Doctors weren't sure on appendicities, so they treated me with IV antibiotics. Pain went away, otherwise healthy. Dr's attributed it to intestinal infection.

February 2008 - Noticed stool was looser and uncoagulated. Color of stool was not as dark either, more pale to yellow. Some stool had blood actually on it. (not actually passing blood). Cramp like feelings in lower abdomen and sometimes general feeling of fatigue. Heartburn was beginning to become an issue as well.

April 2008 - Dr verified hemmroids, which he though was causing blood on stool passing. Dr proscribed Prilosec for heartburn.

May 2008 - Not satisfied with general Physician. Saw GI who performed multiple blood tests an stool test. Stool Test came back positive for C-Diff. Put on Flagyl for 10 days.

Juen 2008 - Stool started to darken up again, and is usually solid nowadays. Stomach still has cramp like feelings. Stool has started to lighten again though, but is staying mostly solid. My GI Dr wants a return call in early July for status to see how I am progressing and if further treatment is needed.

My questions are is stool discoloration ever a symptom with anyone? Are false positives common when testing for C-Diff?

I understand "D", abdomen cramping, fatigue, sometimes blood in stool are all symptoms.

I have been loading up on probiotics in the last few weeks. Besides the constant heartburn, stomach cramp feelings....I am otherwise healthy and make the gym regularly.

I question whether the Flagyl nipped the C-Diff and am thinking I will show positive again on the next test. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:59 pm

gent76,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas of FAQ that interest you.

To answer your questions, you can see all kinds of colors in your stool with cdiff. False negatives are common test results. You should wait 10 - 14 days after finishing Flagyl or vanco to get a good test result. False positives are not common, but you can test positive without having symptoms, and in that case I think you should not take Flagyl or vancomycin. Your doc should treat you based on your symptoms. Probiotics help some folks and don't help others.

I felt really queasy on Flagyl. If you relapse you might ask your doc about vanco. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Jan
Regular Contributor

Postby Jan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:17 am

Every time I relapsed my stool color changed so I would get another test. I have also had to have 4 to 5 cultures done to show a positive result for both toxins A & B.

petunia
Brand New Poster

Stool color

Postby petunia » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:16 pm

Dear Gent76-
I am new to this support group, so I am not sure if this subject has been beat to death, but I did notice my stool changed eventually to a gold color when I had full blown c-diff.

Was in the hospital for a week, and asked the RNs if the smell was distinctive also, and they all said definitely. They knew a c-diff patient before even walking in the door.

So for me, color and odor were signs something was surely wrong with me.

I also had 3 negative tests before 1 postive. Thank God I had that positive because my doctor said he was having a hard time justifying admitting me. He made me feel like an idiot, and then I had the positive c-diff test.

Good luck-see if you can get on Vanco!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:41 pm

Everyone is different when it comes to C Diff stool and you can see many different things yourself (unlike Petunia, color and odor were not indications that I still had C Diff). I never had watery D. My understanding is that when it's yellow it means it's passing through the gut too quickly. I've had many yellows just with IBS and no C Diff.

After testing negative numerous times, my stool was all types of colors, including yellow, and still had that odor to it. I also continued to experience fatigue, lower abdominal pain, nausea. I tested 4 or 5 x 14 days after being off vanco, (one just two weeks ago) and they were all negative. I was convinced I still had C Diff and they were just not testing properly...but, I didn't. I had IBS, different from my pre C Diff IBS. Today, I am 85 days off of vanco and only 2 weeks ago did I feel I turned a corner for the better. I'm still not quite myself, but I have returned to my previous activities, still get a little fatigued...not bad, and am introducing more and more foods. It's been over 4 months, and many people here told me it was going to be a roller coaster ride for a while. It was, but I feel better every day now. Still have my iffy ones, but, I'm thanking God for every good day I have and this site has been a tremendous help to me. The best of luck to you, hang in there, make sure your stool is tested after being off antibiotics (I'd say 14 days) and my doc said one sample isn't enough...they require at least 3. Also, my doc had me on a probiotic that was causing me a lot of problems, and he'd also put me on bran...which made things a lot worse, too. I went off the bran and changed the probiotic and indeed, things got better.

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:32 pm

Thanks for all the info!

The probiotics I'm loading up on are:
1 danactive per day
1 - 2 Activia yogurts cups per day
1 Acidophilus capsule per day
1 serving of Kefir probiotic smoothie topped on fiber type cereal

Is this too much?
What type of diets are people having success with, as far as not upsetting their stomach too much.

After the holiday weekend I will be calling my GI Dr to set up another stool test, as it has been 3 weeks since I finished Flagyl. My stool continues to have a yellowish tint to it and foul odor (not normal imo).

Thanks for all the great help provided!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:50 pm

I think it's great that you're getting another test done 3 weeks off the meds. Hopefully, it will come back negative. Like I said before, my stools were yellow with that "smell" even after 2 months off the vanco; that's why I was convinced I still had it. Apparently just took some time for improvement. Now, after 4 months, if I have an IBS attack (which is rare), it reverts to what I wrote above; otherwise, it's fine. That's just been my experience with it. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a thumbs up with your test! Please let us know how it goes!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:45 am

Probiotics and diet are very individual. I took more probiotics than you are, without problems. I was very careful about diet, adding things to the BRAT diet slowly. I was told no caffeine, no alcohol, little fat, little spice, little fiber. Fiber has been my biggest problem, but some folks do fine with it.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:59 am

Hi Gent - best of luck to you on your test results. As Nancy said, it does seem diet is very individual. For me personally, after BRAT I ate alot of oatmeal, flour tortillas, rice with grilled chicken, potatoes...etc. My doc actually told me to "eat whatever you can tolerate". Sometimes a simple scrambled egg would cause problems, other times I could chow down at taco bell without incident. Very strange the number C Diff does on our gut. Also, the only probie I took was the Florastor. Not a yogurt fan. Im five months out of the woods, and still at times have the rumbles, gas, etc. - but if it isnt full blown "D", I just ignore it and press on - it does get better I promise..lol.

Feel better soon.
"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac....."

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:45 pm

I take 3 different probiotcs daily in capsule form (I keep all refrigerated)
1-2 Danactive yogurts daily
Several Danactive drinkable yogurts daily
1-2 cups Kefir daily
NO Fiber for me...makes things much worse (although I do eat oats and that's about all the fiber I can tolerate), no caffiene, raw veggies, red meat, spices, alcohol. I was able to tolerate Ensure after about 3 months, and only now able to tolerate Ensure Plus, but I don't get Ensure w/fiber.

As Nancy1 and Marscan said above, diet is a very individual thing.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:57 pm

Marcan's experience is similar to many of ours.

It's often difficult to determine what causes the bad days, but you need to eat. Many docs. recommend adding new foods back in one at the time. At one time, I kept a food diary. No more. Decided to go for "quality" over "quantity." I eat everything (within reason) & ignore the bad days as marcan said. Otherwise, you will drive yourself crazy with worry. I just got back from a high school reunion. I ate everything & anything (it was a party after all), drank wine, & had no problems. When I returned, I "ate healthy" & had a bad day -- in a store while trying on clothes yet! Go figure! After years of this, I ignore it -- often difficult to do but easier once you experience this many times.

As marscan said," if it isnt full blown "D", I just ignore it and press on." Best advice I've heard. C. diff. has already affected your life adversely -- don't let it ruin it.

See FAQ-Nutrition for hints on eating.

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:30 pm

I will be calling my Dr this week to have another stool sample taken. My stomach sometimes still does a little number on me. My stool has been solid overall, but I have been having some lower abdominal cramping on and off with gas. Is this somewhat normal for others?

I've read that cramping/pain is somewhat normal for some folks on the boards, even after they have rid themselves of C-Diff. But overall, I'm in good health and "decent" spirits. The annoyance is the biggest problem for me, as it can be a little mental drain.

I'm not sure if I'm sold that i've rid myself of C-diff with one round of Flagyl, but we shall see....

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 pm

gent76,
A high majority are free of C. diff. after one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vanco. The frequent posters are the other unfortunate 80 or so %.

C. diff. does is hard on your GI tract so don't expect "normal" right away. Wait l0 to 14 days off meds. to be tested for best results. (See FAQ-C. diff. Tests.)

gent76
New User

Postby gent76 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 am

Just dropped off another "sample" for testing today. I am thinking I'll test positive, due to the abdominal cramping I've had lately. My stool is not exactly healthy looking and carries the "odor" I associate with C-Diff. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

What is the usual turn around on getting test results back? Anybody who has had multiples done have an avg time?

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:10 am

I usually knew the same day if not then the next. Good luck

Return to “Too Much Information”