Well, it's been 71 days since my last Vanco...

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Well, it's been 71 days since my last Vanco...

Postby klt03301 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:47 pm

but...I still don't feel well. I don't have D and haven't in a long time, but continue to have daily bloating, abdominal/rectal pain (not cramping), but soreness in lower abdomen as if someone has punched me in there, poor appetite (I tried the Reuteri and it didn't help), and occasional nausea along with infrequent joint pain (I have Fibromyalgia but haven't had much problem with it until C Diff). I'm on medication for depression...one that slows down the gut...(the med is not causing my nausea because I've taken it for years in the past) and very infrequently valium when my abdomen is really sore. I continue to lose weight, but my GI doc told me that my lowest weight could be 98 and still be normal. Not far from it, though...but I'm a small woman. Had a blood test for Celiac Disease, and Roy and Bobbie...you were right. Roy told me the blood test is more accurate than the stool test and Bobbie mentioned that someone else had been diagnosed with it but now the doc thinks he may have been wrong. I don't understand why I continue to have the symptoms I do, unless it's just taking a really long time for my intestines to heal. That's what my GI doc tells me each month I see him. I keep asking when this is going to get better and he just says, "it takes time". I had irritable bowel prior to C Diff which was under good control, but this is like IBSx10 (bloating and soreness and somtines nausea after BM, but I don't have the explosive D and cramping like I did when I had IBS prior to C Diff). I only have 1-2 bathroom trips a day and they look OK, but the odor has never left me, which I've told my GI. I still have to be careful about what I eat. The only time I've eaten out since February 08 was a couple of weeks ago with my grandson. I was able to eat a grilled chicken sandwich (no veggies) with no problems! That was exciting :-) I'm so happy to read about others' success stories, but have to admit that I get a little discouraged when I read they've returned to their normal acitivities, diet, and feel great (and it didn't take them this long). Gosh, I want that so badly! I'm truly happy for them, but wonder what the heck my problem is that has caused me to struggle with this since 2/08. I only had 2 rounds of vanco and the 2nd one (10 days 125 mg 4xday), had no effect upon me whatsoever. I've had negative after negative test for C Diff. Both my GI and ID doc wanted me off the vanco so my good flora could be restored. I take something called Replenis now and will start Florastor in a few days. I've only been on the Replenis for two weeks, so I know that is not the problem. Prior to Replenis, I was taking a probiotic my GI told me to take that had soil based organisms in it...that made things much worse for me. I will say my energy level has greatly improved and if not for the pain and severe bloating...I'd say I was greatly improved. I do take Gas X which is minimally helpful. I still feel at only 60 percent of who I was. The good news...I'm moving to be closer to my family and ditched my boyfriend of 7 years who was constantly arguing with me about what HE thought my treatment should be and my recovery should have accomodated HIS schedule and we had no sex life...duh, I had a hysterectomy in February for a suspicious ovarian cyst and that's how this whole thing started and quite frankly, it's the last thing on my mind.

Anyway, has it taken anyone else this long after C Diff to start to feel normal again? My psychiatrist wants to put me on something called Seroquel to make me gain weight. It's used for people with Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder (neither of which I have, but do have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). I did some research on Seroquel and most people said it wasn't a pleasant experience and it was very addicting; although it did help them gain weight. I'm thinking my PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) is partially responsible in lengthening my recovery time. Has anyone ever taken this Seroquel and if so, your experience with it? I know someone here took Remeron which helped them gain weight, but I had a friend who took it and it significantly elevated his liver enzymes.

Didn't quite know which forum to post this under, but since I've mentioned some icky stuff, decided best to post under TMI.

Thanks to all and I hope you guys feel better soon or are on your way to recovery. For Roy...no, it isn't that I'm not accepting that I'm getting better...I sincerely WANT to get better...I am certainly better than I was 2 months ago, but it is taking a very long time for me to heal. I have always appreciated your humor and your responses to my posts and you've been helpful to me 99% of the time...I really hope I didn't p*iss you off with that remark, because I do value your input. Just wanted you to know that I'm trying.

Take care, guys, and you are all in my prayers.

Karen

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:54 am

I am in the same boat as you, but not feeling as much pain or bloating. However, I do have pain in my lower abdomen quite often almost like menstral cramping and a lot of gas pains. It's been 93 days off the vanco for me and I don't feel 100% yet, but I think both of us are fine. I just hope neither of us will ever have to deal with this horrible disease again. I too am like you I think my stress and worry makes me feel worse. Also, I am still 90 pounds and it's been 6 months for me basically since I got on the vanco I was eating normal and I can't seem to gain the weight back. I'm not going to stress about it though as long as I am feeling good, then I'll just wait to get that 10 pounds back eventually. My family however has been very annoying about my weight loss, but I'm dealing with it. Good luck Karen and I think you are free of the c-diff in my opinion and are just going through the recovery time. Hope you are 100% very soon!!!

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi Jen.

Yeah, I have the gas pains, too. I remember that you had a problem gaining weight. It's good that you're able to eat pretty much what you want. That helps; I still can't. I know what you mean about the weight loss. My family doesn't say anything to me because they know I'm self-conscious about it, so I'm lucky in that respect. I couldn't eat anything other than crackers and rice on the vanco. I hope you get back to 100% soon and NEVER have this again! I really don't worry that I'm going to get it again; I know I very well may but I just can't worry about that right now. I don't think I still have it. I just think, like you, it's a recovery period. Stress doesn't help, but I try to stay as low key as possible. I just want someone to be able to tell me that this will end one day. That's all I want. I want, just one day, to be able to eat and feel good. Thanks so much for responding to my post.

Karen

jenkelly15
Regular Contributor

Postby jenkelly15 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:56 pm

No problem at all. Yeah me too I think that's what some of us are looking for a person to tell us we will not get it back unless of course we need any AB's, but at least until then I wish someone could tell me that too. That's probably why we are so stressed because we are still scared about it. Well good luck again Karen and hopefully one day you will wake up and you will be able to eat whatever you want and feel great!!!

peanut
Regular Contributor

Postby peanut » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:17 am

Hi Karen,
We all know your anxiety with this whole thing. ive been taking xanax since cdiff hit me, which was little over a year ago. and there are days when i still get scared going potty. the stress with this thing is ridiculous.
just have to say ive been off vanco now for 7 months and still havent gained any of my lost 50lbs back. and i really didnt start feeling better until about 4 months off the meds, which is when i started adding new and normal foods again. i still cant tolerate things like tomato sauce, lettuce,chocolate,milk,red meat. still have some bad days with the stomach and feeling lousy. and still have that menstral cramp pain quite often.
read some more of the posts, you will see you are definately not alone
it just takes so much time for the colon to heal after such a blow. try to be patient you are on your way to recovery. take care.
peanut

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:35 am

Thaks, Peanut. What you told me is very helpful. I don't feel so alone or like such a wimp. My ID doc is doing another stool test to make sure it's negative and if so, will put me on medication for post infectious irritable bowel syndrome. I think since I had it before C Diff, it's just been made worse. He said that some people can develop this (after telling him of my symptoms) and that it can last months to years. Thanks again for writing. It's so nice to hear from others who are experiencing what I do. It's also nice to know I'm not the only one who can't get the weight back on, though I feel badly for others who are in the same boat. Take care...Karen

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:22 pm

I have been cdiff free for 2 years (this week) and I still have occasional problems. Right after I finished the meds I had to live on Gas X, and I occasionally still take it. I also had to use the heating pads lots. Just recently I noticed Im starting to do better. Still have problems around that time of the months, but alot better. The rectal pain could be hemmrroids. I remember well just how you all feel, and it will get better with time. Sometimes IBS can be real bad too. Nauteousness was the worst after I got the bloating under control!! Remember its not in your heads! Its a part of recovery.. Hang in there...

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:07 pm

Thanks Nsewell. Gosh, 2 years. The rectal pain isn't hemmoroids. It's a soreness just like I feel in my lower abdomen. Trying to get my bloating under control and wondering how you did it. I'm so glad you're feeling better!!

Return to “Too Much Information”