Leakage

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
abby
New User

Leakage

Postby abby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:58 am

I do realize we've been asked to not be too icky, and I have brought this up with my GI, who merely told me to increase my fiber. What I'd like to know is if any other c diff sufferers have had this problem---and did it go away?

I am about four months past vanco, still suffering from IBS. I still take a bit of Questran or Imodium to keep things on track. Within the last month, whenever the stool is not actually hard, after the movement, leakage occurs, sometimes for as long as the next hour. And I'm talking about stools that by any measure would be considered normal, formed, etc. This is NOT after "d." At first I thought it was merely because of my hemorrhoids, that they weren't being properly wiped---but they are, and five minutes later, there can be leakage. I guess this is what is called fecal incontinence.

It is horrid, disgusting, and too embarrassing to talk about. Has anyone else experienced this, did it go away, and what helped it go away? Medication, diet, fiber????????

Thanks so much and I apologize for bringing up this gross problem.

abby

abby
New User

Postby abby » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks for your response, Roy. I have talked with my gastro guy about this, and he recommended increasing fiber intake over the next six weeks and then seeing him again. What I was hoping was to hear if anyone else had had this problem---I'd like to hear from a fellow sufferer, hopefully one who got rid of the problem, which, as I've said, is a distressing one.

Thanks again.

abby

maryinflorida
Regular Contributor

Postby maryinflorida » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:04 am

Hi Abby,

I didn't have your problem when I had CDiff but I experienced something similar recently after having intestinal surgery. Here are some suggestions that might help: keep a good book or magazine by the toilet and just sit a lot longer (until you are really sure you're done); wear Depends or something similar so you don't have to worry about accidents; as your doctor suggested, add more fiber to your diet (oatmeal, high fiber cereals, supplements) ; try doing keigel (?) exercises (contracting & relaxing the muscles in "that area"); and make sure you read all the articles posted here, especially under FAQs and about what to eat and what not. This is what helped me, but your doctor should always be your main source of advise.

My lack of control only lasted for a short time and then it gradually improved but since it was not caused by CDiff I can't help you guess how long it will be a problem for you, but I'm sure you'll get more answers.

This is not a very glamorous disease and we have all been embarrassed by one thing or another so try not to let anything bother you to much. Just hang in there and eventually it goes away.

abby
New User

Postby abby » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:40 pm

Thank you SO much, maryinflorida, for all the excellent information. I was especially interested in what you said about Kegel exercises (looked them up on the Mayo Clinic site, where it is suggested that this may not be due to c diff but to a prolapsed organ.) At any rate, it seems an appointment with my OB-GYN may be in order. You've given me much food for thought (and research) and even better, some hope that I can get this to GO AWAY!

Thanks again.

abby

Return to “Too Much Information”