Anyone spit up most of day after Endoscopy?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
sks001
Regular Contributor

Anyone spit up most of day after Endoscopy?

Postby sks001 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:42 pm

Hi All -

I was so sick in October that I was again hospitalized for 5 days. Intake papers doc put Gastritis. They did an Endoscopy on the last day. This is gross, but since then I spit up white bubbly looking saliva almost all day. Sometimes its thicker, but not that gunk you cough up from your lungs if you have bronchitis. It's driving me nuts. Doc kind of blew it off last time I was in office saying it was probably post nasal drip, even though I took in a large glass container of it to show him. Well I know that's not it as I very, very seldom even have to blow my nose - even in the morning - nothing.

Any ideas what this could be? Since it started right after Endoscopy, do you think something may have been injured. I don't know much about saliva gland (need to google it to read up on it). Is it possible this could be coming from my stomach? Seems like it has gotten even worse since latest in long line of doctors put me on Zantac 150 twice a day and Viokase pancreatic enzymes.

Hope some of you wonerful people might have some ideas. I can't go back to doctor until next month, and his office staff won't answer any questions or speculate. Get the feeling they don't think it is important. Bet it would be important if it was them spitting up tons of stuff per day - can fill up 1 or 2 cups!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:02 pm

We are not allowed to give medical advise on this site. All we can do is tell of our experiences etc. In my experience some medicines can cause all kinds of side effects. Personally, I might be tempted to forego the meds a couple of days to see if it went away. Or your doc could be right as this is allergy season and maybe antihistimine would dry you up. You know your own body and have to make your own choices. If your doctor will not see you again right now you might call him. Also another good idea would be to have a chat with your pharmacist to see if these drugs could cause such side effects. Good luck!
Cindy

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Yes, I know that no-one can give medical advice. That's why the topic was has anyone else had this happen after Endoscopy.

As I said, this started six months ago - last October - the day after Endoscopy. I just started the Zantac 150 twice a day and Viokase pancreatic enzymes two months ago.

I don't have any sinus problems; or allergies this time of year so don't need drying up.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:01 am

P.S - I don't know how my topic got posted in this Too Much Info forum (I never even read this). I posted it in the Questions forum and I kept refreshing that page and it wasn't showing up so had to go thru all the forums to find my post. Perhaps something technical was wrong on the site. Strange!!!

Sandy

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Thu May 01, 2008 9:05 am

KInda sounds like some major acid relux??

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Thu May 01, 2008 8:04 pm

Then if I had just started taking the meds I would not suspect them. I most likely would tell the doctor he needed to get to bottom of it or find myself a new doc. I would guess that possibly something else might be going on. Good luck!
Cindy

jaspore
Regular User

Just an idea

Postby jaspore » Thu May 01, 2008 8:53 pm

That sounds really strange to me!

I think, just for process of elimination sake, I would see if the drs. office would test the saliva for other bacteria that may have been contracted through the procedure. It sure couldn't hurt.............
H Pylori.......heck, lots of bacteria can be tested for via saliva.

If you think somethings wrong, then somethings wrong.......and another poster gave you some good advice. If your doc won't listen to you, then maybe you should find another doc. I'm still searching for one myself?

Good luck CindyM......and please, let us know if there is ever a diagnosis...........
(there are c diff police that edit posts.....it must be very accurate and legal at all times.........else the forum could be in trouble or gone....least that's what I think it is....probably why you ended up in TMI....sshhhhhh)
:)
JASPORE

Wilmington, NC

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:55 pm

Well, I went to my Pulmonologist and took a sample and he said it had nothing to do with my condition.

Went to regular doctor last week with a sample. He had an emergency so saw a new associate. She had absolutely no idea about what could be causing the gross spitting up, but she did keep the sample and sent it for a culture.

She called yesterday and said the culture showed an oral yeast infection which she said is often seen in people who use inhalers, and prescribed Mycelex lozenges which is an azole antifungal agent used to treat fungal infections of the mouth or throat. It works by stopping the growth of fungus. I about cried when I read the side effects - nausea (which I already have 24/7), vomiting, mild itching or an unpleasant sensation in the mouth.

Haven't started it yet. Supposed to suck on one 4 times a day evenly spaced and let slowly dissolve (takes 15 to 30 minutes) and not eat or drink anything.

Being so paranoid about antibiotics or any medication, I called 3 different drugstore pharmacists to make sure this wasn't an antibiotic - ha ha.

So here I am with an Oral Yeast Infection and still no answer about the spitting up.

I've been to many GI diocs and one ID doc in the past year trying to find out why I've never gotten better even though I was cured of C-Diff in June 2007 and haven't found a decent one yet. I'm so sick, and just hate trying all these insensitive idiotic docs. Those that have found a good one, I'm really glad for you and hope you know how lucky you are!

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:50 pm

Well, I took 11 or 12 of the 14 days of the Mycelex lozenges for the Oral Yeast Infection. Woke up 2 days ago and the whole inside of my lips and cheeks were sore and inflamed which I believe are canker sores which I've never had before in my life. Called dr's office to ask about what antiseptic type mouthwash I should get to take for it, and whether I should continue to finish the rest of the Mycelex.

Asked the woman that answered the phone to please just ask any doctor in the practice that was in the office the questions and she could call me back that I didn't need to actually talk to the doctor. Waited all day Thursday and she didn't call me back, so I called again and got answering machine that they were closed and to leave a message. Well the message wasn't very nice that I left explaining, once again, that I have to hire someone to go to drugstore for me and that person was also waiting all day Thursday to run to CVS for me. Didn't hear anything Friday either, and now it's Saturday at 1:00 pm and still no response.

Googled canker sores and found Peroxyl Cool Mint Antisptic Oral Cleanser that states it promotes the healing of oral irritations. Called CVS and asked if they carried it and paid person to go get me a bottle. Supposed to hold it in your mouth for 1 minute and swish it around. Use 4 times a day - 3 after meals and once at bedtime. Still don't know if I should continue the 2 or 3 days of Mycelex lozenges that I still have, and don't know if these are what caused the irritation and canker sores.

Earlier I had called for the dr. that prescribed the Mycelex after taking a couple of them about how awful the metallic taste was and nothing would get rid of it after taking them (brushing teeth, scrubbing tongue, juices, etc.) and asked if there was something flavored that I could swish and spit. Waited several days and no response to that request either, so I had no choice but to continue the generic Mycelex lozenges.

Grrrrrrrrrr - I'm so disgusted with all these frigging doctors and office staffs.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:08 pm

Oops - forgot to add that this med did absolutely nothing for the constant spitting up of foamy saliva that fills up in my mouth (which doctor acknowledged she had no idea what could be causing that, but did at least do a culture on sample I took in and that's when it showed an Oral Yeast Infection - other docs didn't even do that).

Will try to get an appt. next week with an ENT who hopefully will have some idea of what is causing it, as it is icky and exhausting, and has been going on since last October following an Endoscopy. I've googled saliva glands in many different ways and have found nothing about excessive or hyper-secreation that matches my symptoms.

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Roy - Thanks for your reply about your experience with oral thrush.

Since the spitting started last October after Endoscopy, I've never had any burning or drooling. I only recently got some burning after taking 12 days of prescribed Mycelex lozenges which seemed like canker sores inside lips and cheeks. The Peroxyl Cool Mint Antisptic Oral Cleanser I got from drugstore took away the burning/discomfort after 2 or 3 days, but I still feel tiny bumps inside cheeks and lips.

In fact, it never entered my mind it could be Oral Yeast Infection as there was nothing strange looking in my mouth. Mouth would just fill up with this foamy saliva and had to spit it out. Was worse when I drank certain things, especially anything thicker like a nutritional supplement, but mostly for absolutely no reason at all - just out of the blue.

When I was in the hospital for C-Diff (believe it was the 2nd time for nine days), nurse brought me in this tiny cup of an orange or cherry flavored liquid to swish (an't remember if it was then spit or swallow) for only 3 or 4 days that she said was for thrush. I looked in the mirror in the bathroom & didn't see anything different in my mouth, but I was so sick & so out of it most of the time from anti-nausea shots every 4 hours, at the time I kept forgetting to ask the nurse or doc about what thrush was & what it looked like & how did they know I had it as I didn't see anything different in my mouth. Didn't even know anything about C-Diff back then - was sooooooo happy to find this site after I was home.

I made an appt. with an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) doctor next Tuesday, June 17, since regular doc didn't respond either time as outlined in my above June 7th post. Sure hope he will know for sure what is causing this and help me stop it as it's really wearing me out it's been going on for so long. I'll be sure to ask about Nyastin. You called it "drops." Does that mean you mix it with something? How did it taste? Is it a swish and spit, or swish and swallow med?

Sandy
Southeast Michigan

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:57 am

Well, I went to the ENT Tuesday and took a sample. Once again, yet another doctor that had no idea what could be causing this constant spitting and mouth filling up with this foamy saliva that you have to expel, and no suggestion of what type of doctor could help me.

At least he was a nice guy for a change. He did tell me that the mouth is full of yeast and bacteria, and that the culture of the sample the other doctor did did not necessarily mean I had an oral yeat infection. He asked if other doctor had examined my mouth as he had just done and I said no, she never even looked in my mouth. He said that was a big mistake because you can tell by looking in the mouth if you possibly have oral thrush or an infection. Said cultures are taken if you have raised patches or white spots, and taken from the patch or spot, not the saliva.

Said taking the Mycelex lozenges most likely reduced the normal yeast, bacteria, etc., that are in your mouth that you need, so that's why my mouth got sore after taking med for 12 days. Said to swish and gargle with salt water then spit out for a week to 10 days. If not better, then come back. Forgot to ask him how much salt do you put in a glass of water. Googled it and some say 1/2 tsp. and some say 1 teaspoon. Called office but he's at a conference until next week.

While there, I asked him about my cheekbone to my ear keeps going numb and tingly. Hard to describe but drives you nuts and you just want to rub it and rub it to make it go away. Also getting a pain at the back of the ear on the head the length of the ear. He examined and said he saw nothing, that I needed to see a Neurologist for that (geez not another doctor!).

He surprised me by shooting something up my left nostril to freeze it & handed me some gauze to stop the dripping. Left for 15 minutes & came back with this skinny long tube with a light on the end and shoved it up my nostril and kept telling me to inhale, inhale, inhale. Was very uncomfortable and very hard to do and all you wanted to do was blow it out (ha ha). Thought it was never going to stop, but it finally did. Sure was glad when he pulled it out. Assume it was to look at my sinuses. He said everything looked fine up there, and that there was no sign of cancer or anything in my mouth.

So still have no idea what is causing this foamy spitting up and don't know where to turn to try to find out.
Sandy
Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:42 pm

Hey Sandy. I read where you mentioned you were nauseous 24/7. When I get nauseous, and my daughter and niece have told me it happens to them too, it causes my mouth to fill with excess saliva/spit. I've had this happen to me numerous times over the years, but it never lasted as long as your's has. I do recall having to spit frequently, though. Now, I don't know what is going on with you, and I'm no doctor, but thought maybe I would just let you know...when my niece was pregnant, she had to carry a cup with her everywhere to spit into for the whole nine months, and her doc told her it was from the nausea. She was embarrassed to even leave her house b/c of the spit cup. I sincerely hope these problems resovle for you soon, or at least a doctor can figure it out.

Wishing you well....Karen

sks001
Regular Contributor

Postby sks001 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks very much Karen for your response ... sincerely appreciate it!

I've had the 24/7 nausea since having 2 really bad bouts of C-Diff in March & April, 2007 that had to be hospitalized for 9 days each time, but the mouth filling up with foamy saliva and having to spit it out didn't start until the day after I had an Endoscopy when hospitalized again in Oct. 2007.

That must have been horrible for your niece for those nine months which should have been such a happy time. I hope she was innovative and carried an empty soda can or a fast food drink cup - ha ha. My only good thing (actually it's a really bad thing) is that I haven't been able to leave my home except to go to dr. appts. since the beginning of 2007 so at least I do it in privacy.

I wish you and your family well also.
Sandy

Southeast Michigan

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away".

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi Sandy. Gosh, I have no idea what that could be since it didn't start until the endoscopy. You seem to have a great attitude (at least a little humor); I'd feel pretty down if I'd been housebound as long as you. I TRULY HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP YOU SOON! I do pray, for everyone on this site and those who aren't...so, know you're in my prayers and I do believe in the power of it.

Wishing you all the best, Sandy!

Return to “Too Much Information”