another relapse? or continued Leucocytic Colitis

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
sunny
New User

another relapse? or continued Leucocytic Colitis

Postby sunny » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi everyone...haven't posted in a while...a week ago I finished the second round of 2 weeks of vanco after2 weeks on flagyl...did ok for 10 days then D returned....3-4 times and ususally just in the morning....had 2 negative stool samples so thought i was out of the woods. Yet the GI doc wants me to go back on the vanco since the tests could have been false negatives....I have been on 4 vsl #3 daily during this time also and 4 florastor...also 2 grams colestid daily....since I also have Leucocytic Colitis which also presents with frequent diarrhea and pain and cramping, I don't know....I told her I don't want any more vanco if I do not have c-diff....since I am only dealing with 3-5 episodes a day and in the morning only I am questioing the return of c-diff. She is willing to wait a few more days to see if the D increases or decreases. She upped the cholestid to 3 one gram tabs twice daily to help with the D and to remove spores that may be presenting. I know you don't diagnose here, but I am in tears and need someone to just talk to me....this is so difficult to deal with as L.C. is also unpredictable and debilitiating.

ClDif
Regular Contributor

Postby ClDif » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi Sunny,

I wouldn't be worried about the D for the time being either. More important I think is how you are feeling otherwise. Are you doing ok? If you are not feeling too sick I would probably do the same you are doing, wait it out and see what happens. And if things stay the way they are repeat the stool test in a couple of weeks.

You are taking a lot of probiotics. What about cutting down on the VSL 3 a little and seeing what happens? Just an idea...

I think it's good that the doctor doesn't treat based on stool test evidence only, better than many others, but at the same time if you are not too ill putting pressure on you to get back on Vanco doesn't sound like the best idea either.

You could also have some blood work done to see if there are any signs of inflammation...

Try not to be sad, it's good that the D hasn't returned in its bad form, it could just as well be a very good sign! Nothing has been decided yet and time will tell. Fingers crossed for you!

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:08 pm

I would wait it out and see how your do.

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Sunny- The mere amount of probiotics you are taking could be causing you some problems. When taking probiotics I always was very symptomatic with great frequency and sometimes stomach pain. Might want to ask doc about slowing those down to see if things get better. As long as you are not having continual diarrhea it really could just be the probiotics causing the problems.
Cindy

sunny
New User

Postby sunny » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanx so much for the responses....it sure helped to "hear " from you ....
will cut back on the vsl...i was going by Kelly's book Bacteria for Breakfast and trying to re-populate with the good guys.... I am not feeling too sick...some cramping and tummy aches....but not going 20 times a day ....mostly just in the morning but this afternoon it started again...but very mild....so thanks for the comments....taked with the pharmacist today and she commented, "just don't wait too long." agreed!!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:55 pm

sunny- If you have persistent problems it is best to have testing done to eliminate any serious problems. Pharmacist is correct in saying don't wait too long especially if it is cdiff.........
Cindy

sunny
New User

Postby sunny » Thu May 01, 2008 1:56 pm

thanx cindy...i have 2 negative c-diff tests in last week.....neithr of which were watery....that's why I am doubting c-diff right now..but i have been wrong before!!
i have gone back over my records of past 2 weeks and there is a pattern of 3-4 stools in the morning...one solid & normal and the next looser and then the 3rd & 4th are like oatmeal....but not water at all...it is a strange pattern and repeated this am also....i'm ususally OK the rest of the day & night ....maybe one at 3 or 4 in the afternoon....but not always....so very different from 20 times a day when i was first diagnosed....i have read that somelabs won't even test for c-diff if the stool is not watery....certainly a dilemna for me....

Return to “Too Much Information”