What does this mean and why now?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Nan
Regular Contributor

What does this mean and why now?

Postby Nan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:49 pm

A brief history. I have had Cdiff since Jan 05. The usual drugs, although mostly Vanco, pulsing, tapering, etc with no success and a dozen relapse. My doctors all passed me on to the next doctor saying they ran out of ideas for me. So, this last time, pretty much on my own, but with the doctor telling me to experiment, I did an extremely long pulse/taper lasting 10 months. I also added VSL#3 twice a day on my off Vanco days along with my Reuteri and Florastor. I was down to one Vanco every 14 days, taking my last Vanco Aug 14. That was almost 10 weeks ago. I know that 12 weeks (90 days) is a milestone here that everyone strives for. During that time no diarrhea or any of the usual “suspect” symptoms. Not normal, but I have no idea what that is anymore anyway. I am still taking the VSL, the Reuteri, and the Florastor 2 times a day, not changing a thing yet.

Did I not make it or what is going on? Early Sunday morning (and I apologize if this is TMI), unexpectedly out comes gobs of mucous, just like when I relapse. That continued a few times, but that was all. No diarrhea, no fever, no nausea, no bad cramps, etc. Small, but formed stool. Felt fine the rest of the day. Well, even earlier today, 2 AM, the same thing repeats and continues through the breakfast hour, but now it stopped again. A tiny bit crampy, but that is all.

I know mucous means inflammation, and I know the unofficial 3 day rule. I wonder if this could be relapse starting? A relapse I am fighting off? IBS? But if IBS, why no IBS symptoms at all of it for a year when my last relapse was? I did get a flu shot last Monday, and a couple of days last week put polysporin on a small cut on my hand. That is the only things different from my normal routines. Don’t really think either could do this much damage to my intestines.

Anyway any of you, who have won the battle, had this happen (all this mucous this far out)? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On a happy note, grandbaby number 5 was born a month ago, a forth grandson. We are all thrilled, but now I am even more worried than before as they are coming to stay with me for a week in 2 weeks. Keep on scrubbing these old hand of mine and keeping everyone out of my bathroom is my plan.
Nan

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:15 pm

I would think it sounds like Ibs.. if your so worried you might want to get a check out from the doctor... I know I still have horrible days.. today was one.. complete d all day.. tummy ache and let cramps.. i know its just a bad day for me.. how are you feeling otherwise...

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:07 pm

Nan,
I had mucus for several months after my recovery from cdiff. I don't have IBS, but I am certainly more sensitive to many things than I was before cdiff. And what causes me problems varies from day to day. Our innards are just not the same after fighting this beast. So who knows what might be causing your problems. I surely hope they get better soon.

I had a flu shot last Friday, and I've used polysporin many times, without problems, so I agree with you, I doubt that either one caused anything.

Your hygiene plans sound fine. Enjoy your new grandson!

Nan
Regular Contributor

Postby Nan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:46 am

Today is the third day in a row when all this mucous (just mucous) that arrives in the wee hours of the morning. I do feel OK otherwise, still have an appetite, no temp, no diarrhea and as a matter of fact, just a small amount of stool these last few days (?) but just the occasional cramp. It is so weird. If this doesn’t clear in a while, I will call my GI doctor and see what he has to say. But my PCP, my GI, and my ID have all said that they are out of ideas for me, so I’m sure none of them will be of any help. I am kind of alone as far as doctors go at this point. I guess I need another new doc.

Diane, sorry to hear that you still have horrible days. That is terrible. Is that IBS? Not much they can do for you for that?

Nancy, trying not to be too graphic, but was it just mucous alone? I could handle several months of it if I know there was an end in sight at some point. Thanks, I will enjoy the new little one.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:56 pm

Nan,
I always had mucus with relapses, so it terrified me. After I recovered, sometimes it was mucus alone. Sometimes not. It came and went in an irregular fashion. Eventually it got less frequent and now I haven't had any in months, even though I still have bad D occasionally.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:05 pm

I have been cdiff free for 16 months and I still get the mucus. Nothing really sets it off just comes with the lovely IBS I have now.

Nan
Regular Contributor

Postby Nan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:05 pm

Thanks everyone. Looks like something I'll just be living with now and again. The gift that keeps on giving. After 3 days of it, I am doing better today, so keeping my fingers crossed that is it for awhile.

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:29 pm

Nan,
I am off vanco since january and I still have this annoying sysmptom. I have no clue what sets it up but it happens quite often. I even had to go through colonoscopy for the second time 2 weeks ago because of mucus. Luckily they didn't find anything and I was told it takes a long time for the intestines to heal. Also, I get all kinds of mucus. It can come by itself, attached to stool, on the tissue paper, different colors and consistencies you name it. When I get mucus by itself, my colon feels really inflammed for few hours but then it gets better.
I always had mucus with c-diff relapses but the quantity and frequency was a lot greater. If you want more detailed info please send me a message. Good Luck.

Nan
Regular Contributor

Postby Nan » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:23 pm

Puremess,
Sorry that that this annoying symptom continues for you. I hope that it goes away for you soon. Yes, I guess it does take time for the intestines to heal. Seem like I am I having similar issues as you are, but it comes and goes. Not so good yesterday but good day today. My GI doctor doesn’t think that I need a colonoscopy at this point but suggested upping my VSL#3 for awhile. Will try that.

Return to “Too Much Information”