Can it come back after 4 years?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
mommyg
Brand New Poster

Can it come back after 4 years?

Postby mommyg » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:38 pm

I got C-diff around 4 or 5 years ago. I was doing my clinical in a nursing home to become a CNA. I was so sick did not know what was wrong. Lost 17 lbs in less than 3 weeks. I would just smell food and have to go. My question is can it come back after 4 or 5 years? I am now in nursing school, entering my 2nd year. I did a clinical in geriatrics last March, which was 6 months ago. Last Friday I came down with D and have had it since. It doesn't smell like C-diff as when you have that you will always remember the smell!! I have had loose stools for 5 days now. Severe cramps....running out like water at times. Now I have cramps but it is more stringy. I am going many times a day and the smell of food makes it worse. I would think if I was going to get it back I would of had it before 5 years. All the symptoms seem similar to last time I had it but it isn't foamy and stinky. If anyone knows would love response.
Thanks

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:01 pm

I got it back after two years. I never got it from an antibiotic or hospital stay to begin with and same thing second time around. My doctor feels I have a 'low level' so I don't even have D all the time and right from the beginning to now I never had the smell everyone talks about.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:50 pm

mommyg,
Our usual welcome to the "site no one wants to join."

Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST & its subtopics. They will guide you in using the site & answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s & Dr. McDonald’s articles and some of the topics in FAQ – especially Hygiene, Nutrition, & Testing.

I doubt if C. diff. could come back after all this time if you haven't been on antibiotics or exposed to it through direct or indirect contact, but I am not a doctor, and as you already know, C. diff. can be a strange disease. Once you have it, you have an increased risk of getting it again.

If your symptoms persist, I'd get to a doc. ASAP & be tested.

Pls. let us know how you are doing, but if you want to list explicit details, list them in the TMI forum.

Good luck. Let's hope this is just a "summer flu."

Return to “Too Much Information”