question about blood and mucus

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
suttsd2
New User

Postby suttsd2 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:27 pm

I had my colonscopy about two weeks ago and everything came back ok, also gave another stool which came back neg for c diff. The last few days have been pretty good and yesterday was good no BM's at all, but when I woke up this morning I had bad cramping and diarrera and at one point there was blood and mucus. I think I may have pushed it yestereda and ate something that maybe I shouldn't have since I was feeling so much better. I do have a follow up appt on Friday with the GI which of course I will tell him about this. I have taken imodium in the past and the GI said this was fine, it just scares me to see the blood. I start to think about the c diff again and then think maybe I just irritated something by what I ate, so was just wondering if anyone has had this happen and it not be c diff back again, I know it is still early I have only been fighting this a few months and I know its going to take time. I hold on to the three day rule so we will see how tomorrow goes, sorry to go on and on just wish this would end : )
stephanie

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:59 am

Unfortunately, I have had the same thing happen and then relapsed. A relapse can occur between 1 day of of treatment up until 6 weeks off and very rarely between 6 and 12 weeks off. It is very common to get a negative tests result or even a clean scope only to relapse later on down the road. I had 2 relapses that occurred 2-3 days shy of the 6 week mark and I tested negative in between. It is very frustrating. If it wasn't for the blood I wouldn't worry so much unless it is just from irritation or hemorrhoids. I'm glad you have an appointment tomorrow as you should bring this up with the Dr. If things get worse today you should give them a call regardless. I'm hoping it is just bad day and this will pass. Wishing you well and good luck tomorrow.

suttsd2
New User

Postby suttsd2 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:36 am

Thank you Christina for the reply, I do feel better this morning and no BM's thus far knock on wood and no more blood of course since the one time yesterday, I will be sure to talk to the doctor tomorrow and see if he wants to do another test for c diff to see about a relapse. I guess I was just hoping that there was a chance that blood could be present at times and c diff not be the cause but I guess with this monster we never know and it will always be in the back of our minds, I'm wondering do you ever really get peace of mind again, and I hate to sound like a cry baby but I'm so sick of crying all the time, when you have a couple of good days then fall back down and feel like you are back to square one it is so hard.
thanks again.
Stephanie

suttsd2
New User

blood and mucus saw GI today

Postby suttsd2 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:01 pm

Well I saw the GI today and he said the blood was from hemmroids that did show up on the colonscopy and that the mucus was signs of IBS, he said I had no C diff, the stool was clear the colonscopy was clear the biopsies he took were clear and no colitis. He told me to stop worring so much about the c diff (easier said then done) and start looking into IBS more, he said also to start eating more high fiber foods and to listen to my body it would tell me what will agree and disagree, as for the diarrhea he said that was part of the IBS, some days would be good and some days would be bad to give it time. So I guess I will try and be patient and take it one day at a time and keep praying for myself as for all of you in this boat also. God Bless You All : )

Stephanie

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:30 am

I too, have been left with IBS. It is not fun but it sure beats C-diff. Hang in there. I am slowly learning to deal with it and you will, too.

Christina

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:20 am

suttsd2,

Your doc. is probably right. IBS affects about l out of 5 of people with C. diff. I, too, am one. Not fun, but, as Christina said, it's far better than C. diff. The symptoms for both can be similar. See FAQ-IBS.

Ask your doc. about Immodium for those "bad days." It helped me a lot. Some docs. now even OK it with active C. diff. (used to be "no no").

I found that foods don't make much difference with me so my motto is, "Everything in moderation, nothing to excess." (Remember, everyone is different.) I slowly added more dairy (esp. yogurt & goat cheese) because I developed severe osteoporosis & wasn't taking enough calcium & it's more difficult to absorb calcium thru. supps. than through food. I "go easy" on spicy foods (also have hiatal hernia/acid reflux) & try to limit excess sugar.

Congrats. on "beating the beast." Please post your story in Success Stories to motivate others.

Return to “Too Much Information”