Fiber - which is best insoluble or soluble

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
nikki0294
Contributor

Fiber - which is best insoluble or soluble

Postby nikki0294 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:14 pm

Hi all
So sick of c.diff--it is coming up on a year now. My doc is suggesting rifaximin in 2 wks. I wanted to also try the high fiber diet in conjunction with the rifaxmin but when I research it am confused between which may be better for c.differs insoluble or soluble. Solubles can be metabolized by gas forming bacteria in the colon so does that mean the other bacteria will eat it and overtake the c.diff or does that mean to avoid it so the c.diff doesn't feast on it??? So confusing!!

Thanks
Chris

jennie
Regular Contributor

Postby jennie » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:24 am

nikki0294 -- I have no answers for your questions, I am not aware it makes a difference, but others may know about this. I would not even know what a soluble or insolube fibre is! Please share which is which. As I have understood it, high fibre diet, when one can handle it, is to keep things moving along, which means getting the toxins and bad bacteria booted out.

I found that as I recovered I was able to put more fibre into the diet, although one has to be aware of not taking too much, or more than one can tolerate. The better, the more healthy the diet one can handle, the closer one is getting to being over this, that is my own sense of it. Fibre without wheat may be a good way to go, because of wheat intolerances, it is an irritant for many of us.

You have posted a few times about Xifaxan (Rifaximine). Those of us who have tried it, have replied in some detail. A few months back, AlexL posted the definitive reply. If you did not see it, really worth a Search.

Very good results are being seen with this med, it seems to depend on whether your strain is resistant to it, or not. Luck of the draw: some of us do very well on it, others go back into relapse, in a very short while, days. Christina, Mary T and nsewell have shared their experiences several times. Those of us who have done well, have also posted on improvements we have had on it. Some posters have been cured on it. It is being used a "chaser", after Vanco, cleans up after what is left over, which may be residual, or low-level c.diff.

Certainly, these are the calls of your doctor. I hear that you are worried about it. In my personal view, it is worth a try: either it works, and you feel better, or it does not. Rifaximine works against a range of bad bacteria, it was developed for traveller's d. so it does not really matter what kind of fibre you are taking in, that would be my own experience of it. Recolonisation is the challenge, and one of the benefits of Rifaximine is that it is "flora-sparing."

One of the current studies is comparing Vanco to Rifaximine. There is a lot of seriousness about this med, and a lot of optimism, across a range of GI issues, PI-IBS and IBS are also being looked at, and the inflammatory conditions. It is worth running a Google search, the Digestive Diseases Week in DC in June (a major GI conference) had several presentations on it. On site, in media reports, the links to those studies were posted. (Or you can refine the search on the DDW site for studies and trials on this med, the abstracts are there.)

But if it works for you, it works, and the "issues" stop being a bother. If and when you try, look forward to hearing how you do on it, or PM if you wish.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:57 am

Chris,

Read my post in Questions under the heading Can ones body overcome illness? Read my 3rd entry regarding what I ate including how you need a balance of soluble and insoluble fiber. This is the diet I was put on after my 1st IVIG when I was taken off of the Vanco. I would not go against your Dr.'s orders though because their must be a reason he doesn't want you to try it. I'd stick with the Xifaxan because too much fiber will also give you diarrhea. If you get diarrhea on the Xifaxan and it is really from the fiber how will you explain that to him?
It's your choice of course but, you need his help. I always did what he told me and never deviated unless he OK'd it first. If he did not OK it I did not do it.
My honest opinion is that the Xifaxan may be just what you need. I'd stick with that for now and IF it fails talk to him again about the diet. I was not put on this diet when I did the Xifaxan only after the IVIG's.
I am real hopeful the Xifaxan may be the answer for you and I wish you great luck with it. My fingers are crossed.

Keep me posted.

Christina

Return to “Too Much Information”