Could DanActive be making my gut worse?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
leedolson
New User

Could DanActive be making my gut worse?

Postby leedolson » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:29 pm

A year down the road since having two episodes of C diff with pseudomonas membranous colitis both times. Still have low albumin (2.9) and don't know why. MDs don't seem to take it seriously. Now I have vicious IBS which takes the form of 1 or two days of fairly solid stool then 1 or two days of diarrhea (up to 6 x per day), then a few days of mild diarrhea and then it starts all over again. A week ago, I started DanActive and now I have worse cramping and gas than ever before. Has anyone else had this happen? Should I stop the DanActive? I am so worn out by this.
I would like to talk with other nurses and healthcare worker who may have contracted C Diff on the job.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:54 am

leedolson,
Many of us have IBS after C. diff. (including me). See FAQ-IBS. With some people, it improves with time.

Has your doc. approved Immodium? Ask. It has helped me, but I can't recommend it or answer your questions re. albumin as I'm not in the medical field, & this isn't a medical site. Do some research on one of the medical sites or in one of your textbooks since you are a nurse. Ask others in the medical field. Please educate your fellow employees in the medical field. Some still think C. diff. is a "little GI infection" that "goes away" quickly.

Don't know if DanActive could be making your symptoms worse. You'll have to experiement - T&E - trial & error. Somone recently posted whenever they started a new probiotic, their symptoms increased for awhile. Do a "search" for probiotics & see if you can find post.

IBS is a "pain" -- but preferable to C. diff.

dayle
New User

Postby dayle » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:58 am

It might be possible you are lactose intolerant. I developed severe lactose intolerance during and after c. diff. I had to go off all dairy, including yogurt. I took a probiotic that came in a powder-MMF replete and non dairy based.

I had low albumin too wheni was in hospital. I recall them telling me i had dropped so much weight i was burning muscle.

leedolson
New User

DanActive causing increased symptoms

Postby leedolson » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:40 pm

Thank you for your replies. It's so great to have this support, I guess that's why its called a support group! I can take immodium when diarrhea is in full swing. I'm a little paranoid about it because you shouldn't take it when you have active C.Diff. Need to get another stool sample for reassurance! I have done extensive searches on this disease and have been trying to educate other nurses and the public. Nurses have a hard time assimilating this information because they are so pressured to handle large caseloads and are highly encouraged to use alcohol hand sanitizer (ineffective against the spores) as much as possible because its quick. No one has taken the medical profession to task over this but, I'm going to attempt to with the help of a good lawyer. Three percent of the adult population carry C. diff. whereas up to 20% (perhaps more) hospital patients are discharged with the infection. This makes the Homehealth nurse and the caregivers at great risk, especially the older babyboomer nurses like myself who are still working. Anyway, thanks again for your help. Lee
I would like to talk with other nurses and healthcare worker who may have contracted C Diff on the job.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Lee,
Good for you for getting the "word" about C. diff. out.

Get another test done for your own peace of mind. I should, too, but have been putting it off -- tried of docs. & tests. Some docs. now say you can use Immodium with active C. diff., but others still say no.

Yes, the alcohol wipes/gels are fine for viruses but not effective against bacteria -- including C. diff. If you scrub your hands briskly with alcohol products, however, it does "whisk: off some of the bacteria. My pulmo. (who was voted the "best" pulmo. in KC by his peer group & is an excellent doc.) told me alcohol is most effective against bacteria! How many other docs. (& nurses) are misinformed? See FAQ-Hygiene

No one can carry around a pail of soap & water, but usually medical personnel have access to a sink. And how many people wash their hands & then turn off the dirty faucet with their clean hands - thus reinfecting them? I always open the outside door of the restroom with a paper towel, & if there is no wastbebasket nearby, I throw the towel on the floor. Have noticed more & more wastebaskets by the door now! Perhaps my "little contribution." Even Oprah preaches, "Sing the Happy Birthday Song" while you wash your hands.

Scary to think how fast C. diff. is spreading. And yet so little awareness!

We've had several nurses on the site ask the same thing about litigation. It would be difficult to prove you acquired C. diff. in the workplace. Have you been on antibiotics recently? If so, this would add to your problems. If you go that route, make sure you get a reputable attorney (if you think the med. profession is hazardous, wait until you see the legal) & have him/her take your case on retainer -- no win, no pay.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:18 pm

I've been drinking DanActive since last August now and am very lactose intolerant. It does not bother me at all. If your drinking more than one per day that may be the problem if not, it may be IBS. I have severe IBS that C-diff has left me with. If I'm having an attack I will have to run to the bathroom after drinking the Danactive but if I'm having an attack anything I eat goes right through me. For me this can last for several days up to a couple of weeks.

Bobbie,
I made it to NY. Took my laptop so I'd have something to do while everyone else sleeps since I don't.I'm feeling better as of yesterday!!

leedolson
New User

Postby leedolson » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi! I'm just so happy to have someone to talk to about this. Yes, I do have a reputible lawyer who has taken the case on contingency basis. I have never sued anyone in my life but I am trying to get on L and I since I have not been able to return to work yet. Mainly I can't work because of the fatigue and dehydration plus the constant low albumin level causes its own symptoms. My Company was a large HMO and is self insured. If I we're to win my case they may give inservices and give adequate time for the correct kind of hygeine.
I'm only drinking one DanActive a day but it's doing something. I'll give it one more week Lee

TheVike
Long Time Contributor

My opinion!

Postby TheVike » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:42 am

I didn t like or thought the Dan Active was agreeing with me but I stuck with it!!! Do so... It did not give me the big D but it did aggravate the tummy with what you said a lil I believe it is natural and good bacteria so how can it hurt! It made me feel bloated and constipated I went to my doc he xray the tummy said no clog back up so this is what it did to me I rotated a Dan A yogurt one am then the drink the next day for 14 days then when on Probitics supplement from colonix! I think I described the contents and number or goood bacteria in it somewhere in this forum, and it seems tho have been helping me tremendously straigten things out!?? I just continue to pray do not get it again while washing cleaning feverishly and sometimes obsessively!
Well in Amman Jordan been awhile since I posted BUT I have after TWO Dan Active products for two weeks now been taking Travelan and Pro product from Colonix and I am much much better almost back to normal have my days with the stomach pains etc lil constipation etc but movements other are back on track I take the Travelan at every meal to protect against E Coli common strain for Traveler's diarrhea and the Colonix Pro just (one) they recommend two at night. Reminder I was diagnosed the 27th of MArch with C Diff after two months of thinking I was gonna die as well as very very shaky on the flight over the 7/8th of June I HOPE and PRAY I am finally over this and will wait a lil longer to post in success. Again seve anitbitics destroyed my stomach essentially leading to thiws and I am gonna try and beat any infection with time rest and natural stuff before I take the A; again ever. I still however constantly worry about it striking again just pray so far so good!

Return to “Too Much Information”