2 days and not feeling much better, questions about vanco

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
cryingsilly
Contributor

2 days and not feeling much better, questions about vanco

Postby cryingsilly » Mon May 07, 2007 9:03 am

Hello,
I had c-diff for about a month before it was properly diagnosed. The symptoms were off and on and not severe. On Friday the 6th I went to ER because I was getting worse. I was weak and shaky and my stool now was coated in blood streaks and I had tons of mucus only bowel movements that were mixed with blood. Most of my stool was formed though and I didnt have water stools.

I was however taking TONS of probiotics. Culterelle, PrimaDophilus, among a few others.

On Saturday morning my test results came back positive for c-diff. I was started on Vanco 125 mg 4x a day. After the second dose of vanco my stools became really watery. No more blood and mucus, just watery and unformed. It has been about 42 hours since I have been on the Vanco. I still have a low grade temp, still feel weak and shaky, and still have watery bowel movements, which I think may be slowing since yesterday I only had two. I would say physically I feel worse than better.

In Dr. McDonalds report he states that fever should subside in 1-2 days and diarrhea in 2-5 days.

Well this obviously isnt the case with me and I will call the GI today and see if I can get in today instead of tomorow.

What I would like to know is if any of you responded slowly to the vanco.
Would like to know if anyone had a low grade temp throughout treatment, and would also like to know if anyone experienced severe body aches.

I am feeling afraid.

I was treated in an urgent care center, and the young PA didnt know anything about c-diff.

Please post your experience with the vanco. Thanks so much.

Darlene

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 07, 2007 12:47 pm

Darlene,
Everyone is different & C. diff. is a very "individual" disease. Many times, it takes three to four days for Vanco. to really "kick in."

I'm not crazy about urgent care centers (although sometimes you have no choice) as you get "pot luck" in docs.

If you fail to improve soon, I would call your GI. Ask him/her about probiotics. Again, everyone reacts individually, and many on this site have said high dosages caused them problems.

Remember, C. diff. can be a disease of "trial and error." What works for one might not work for another. Vanco. should "do it" for you, however. Hang on.

Read Success Stories & some of the posts re. coping with C. diff. in FAQ for inspiration.

Good luck.
Last edited by Bobbie on Tue May 15, 2007 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamie1222
New User

Using Vanco

Postby jamie1222 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:48 pm

I am so glad to see I'm not the only one with severe body aches. My Dr. has said he has never seen anyone with body aches from the Vanco. I quit taking it for 2 days and felt great and then the C-diff came by and I went on it again. I want to sleep all the time and I ache and I thought it was the C-diff but now think it is the Vanco. Now I just hope it doesn't come back. It is not quality of life that's for sure.
jamie tebbutt

whitepine
Regular Contributor

Postby whitepine » Mon May 28, 2007 2:40 pm

How are you doing? I hope better. :)

jamie1222
New User

Postby jamie1222 » Mon May 28, 2007 2:59 pm

Thanks for the posting...I had another relapse but asked the Dr. to lower the dose of Vanco to 225 3 x a day instead of 500 3 x a day and I feel much better. I'm taking it for 14 days and I"m about half done so we'll see if it comes back. I hope this does it. But the lower dose really works in taking the aches away.
jamie tebbutt

cryingsilly
Contributor

Postby cryingsilly » Tue May 29, 2007 4:34 pm

Im not doing too good right now Whitepine. Having a hard time figuring out whats going on. Because right now, if I am having a relapse (99.2, aches and some abdominal pain under the ribs) then I am having the relapse while on 500mg 4X... so. Not too happy today.

Waiting to hear back from my GI to see when he has the scope scheduled for.

Thanks so much for asking Whitepine

Darlene

Return to “Too Much Information”