Lactose intolerance

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:34 pm

Judy M,
I use vanilla -- no fruit. Seems to agree with me OK.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:39 pm

Like Fiona, I am a celiac in addition to being lactose intolerant. I found out about the celiacs in the middle of my first round of cdiff. I can tolerate a little milk as a lactose intolerant person, and a little bit of some cheeses. As I said I have a big reaction to the 'hidden' lactose. Everyone is different with lactose intolerance....it's trial and error.

Fiona, I drink Lifeway Kefir in Strawberry and like it very much and it doesn't bother me. I get mine at Shaw's supermarket in the Boston area. DanActive yogurt I also seem to be okay with...but they will only guarantee the plain to be gluten free...so I buy that and add a little vanilla to it.

Judy M.
Regular User

Postby Judy M. » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:43 pm

Mmmmm . . . I like vanilla and never thought about using it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Judy M.
Albany, NY

Fiona
New User

Postby Fiona » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:29 am

I never thought of vanilla - what a good suggestion. I have been adding a vegetarian (non-milk and non-soy) probiotic capsule (Natural Factors Woman's Probiotic) - the gelatin ones you can open and sprinkle - to the yogurt as well as some stevia to sweeten it, and it seems to be digesting a little easier. I usually take the half container of BioK+ at the same time. It is the fruit flavoured one and it does have little sugar to make it more palatable. While I avoid sugar usually (even before cdiff), it doesn't seem to be such a problem here, although the first few days with the yogurt and BioK+ were uncomfortable. There is a non-sugar added version of BioK, I think I will try that next. I was drinking the whole bottle at once, rather than splitting it into two servings, which undoubtedly didn't help...
I will ask my local health food store if they will order the kefir for me. They are small but customer friendly, and are willing to do special orders. Thank you for the information and the name of the brand MaryT, I often forget to ask that!
Fiona

Return to “Too Much Information”