C Diff is STRONG...3rd Round of Vancocin!!! AARRGGHH!!!

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
shanor49
New User

C Diff is STRONG...3rd Round of Vancocin!!! AARRGGHH!!!

Postby shanor49 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi everyone... I'm getting frustrated here as I was off Vancocin for 12 days after two rounds of it, and woke up one day and had 14 bowel movements b/f 2PM. This was on a Thursday and I knew my gastroenterologist only does scopes of Friday, so I called his nurse to let him know that I cannot go all weekend like this. She called me back and said he wants to do a colonoscopy this Thursday and find out what's going on. For those of you who didn't read my previous post under Complaints/Venting, I was put on an antibiotic by my primary care physician (I have other names for him as well - haha) and two days after stopping the antiobiotic my system went haywire. I already have ulcerative colitis, but prior to the antiobiotic for a sinus infection, my colitis was in complete remission and I was doing wonderfully. Needless to say, I was livid that my primary care physician never made one mention to me that since I have IBD, I need to watch for any changes in my bowel habits that would be indicating something like c-diff occurring. My gastroenterologist put me on Vancocin right away and didn't even bother with Flagyl as it has proven to be only 76% effective as compared to 97% effective. But, then why am I on Vancocin for a third time? I am also on Prednisone (down from 40 mg...to 7.5 mg right now) and Flora-Q. I also take Colazal and Folic Acid for my ulcerative colitis. Sorry it is taking so long to get to my point. I just want to put my health information out there in case anyone else has a similiar situation they would like to share. It's nice to "talk" to someone who's been in your shoes. I believe I have pseudomembraneous colitis (as well as my ulcerative colitis) and c diff. I have urgencies to go, have 6 bowel movements at least in the morning, yellow liquid (did anybody have bright, flourescent yellow liquid in the bowel during a bm???)? Does whatever I have EVER clear up?

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:45 pm

Hi Sharon. Sorry you are having so much trouble w/ your c-diff infection. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about UC but I can tell you that yes C-diff will eventually clear up. For some it takes longer than others. I had C-diff for 17 months and had 11 relapses so I can tell you first hand it always goes away it's just a matter of when. I know you are getting discouraged but I urge you to to try and relax and be patient. I know that is easier said than done. You must be persistent and not give up. You may want to ask your Dr. about a tapered dose, a pulsed dose or even a longer course of Vanco. Sometimes those may do the trick. You can read about these in the treatment section. As for the colonoscopy, it's a good idea to have so that your Dr. can see exactly what is going on but try to make sure if you can, to be off of meds. for about 14 days as the Vanco may mask the results.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Connie
Regular Contributor

Postby Connie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:39 pm

Just one question: at this point, how can you tell whether your symptoms are being caused by c. diff, your UC--or both?? It seems to me a bout of c. diff could have knocked you out of remission. My son had c. diff at age 7, then was dxd with UC at age 8. An antibiotic may have triggered his first flare-up. Lost his colon during the second one at 9.
Thomas's Mom

shanor49
New User

Postby shanor49 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:00 am

Connie, I'm sorry to hear about your son's troubles. No child should have to go through that. I have two sons of my own. I agree, that c-diff caused my ulcerative colitis to flare-up. Here's what is the common denominator between my bouts with c-diff. My symptoms with a c-diff flare up include stomach pain and yellow liquid within the bowel movement. With my "normal" ulcerative colitis, I would have urgencies, not always resulting in bms because I have proctitis...so basically all of my colon is great except for a few inches from the rectum. So, it's like the bm travels down my colon just fine, but if I have a UC flare-up, it cannot come down, resulting in a "not relieved" feeling b/c the bm has reached an inflamed point and cannot come out. I never experienced pain with my UC flare-ups or this bright, yellow liquid. Like your son, I believe my antibiotic caused c-diff. My stool sample came back negative the first time, but my doctor still believes I have it. But, I'm happy he's doing a colonoscopy just to see what's going on. After doing research, I believe he'll find that it's pseudomembraneous colitis (antibiotic-associated colitis) as well as c-diff. Three rounds of Vancocin isn't fun, as well as Prednisone! I feel like given my history with IBD, I might need something stronger as Christina suggested. I hope your son is doing better Connie...my father had to have his colon removed due to toxic megacolon.

Return to “Too Much Information”