Bad night

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
pam2738
Regular Contributor

Bad night

Postby pam2738 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:22 am

Hi all

I've been doing pretty well now for several months but last night was a bad night & I wanted to try to figure out why. I woke up around 2 am with a nauseated feeling & LOTS of nether region noise, I mean LOTS. More than I've had before at any time, I think. Also some heartburn & some occasioal reflux. I "went" once & "It" was the usual snaky looking product, thank goodness. But that was the first time I have gone in the night in ages. The nausea went away after awhile but the noise & occasional reflus went on until around 4 am when I finally took a low dose of Xanax & went to sleep until 6. When I woke up the nausea & heartburn were gone but the noise continued. Lots of LIQUID noise, which made me VERY nervous too.

Now that I'm up, in general I feel ok & the noise has decreased a LOT. But I had to "go" this morning & "It" had deteriorated somewhat from looking like snakes. But consdering I feel ok, aside from the effects of a generally sleeplessk night.

Ok, so what caused this? Two possibilities & that's what I need help on. Yesterday afternoon I tried some yogurt for the first time since December. Plain Stoneyfield with some apple butter (which I eat all the time) mixed in. Maybe about 1/3 of a cup of yogurt total. I wonder if it was that, if I have become lactose intolerant? What are the symptons of lactose intolerance when you eat something dairy?

The second possibility is that it was the leftover piece of baked chicken I ate. It's just possible that it wasn't really good anymore & should have been thrown out.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Pam

S

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:38 am

I am lactose intolerant but I was prior to c-diff. The usual symptoms of lactose intolerance are excessive gas, cramps and diarrhea. I had a very bad attack a few weeks ago that hit around midnight. It depends when you ate the food that caused it. Usual reports say about 2 hours after but mine take a lot longer usually, around 8 or so depending on what I ate. I also don't always have a problem with it. It all just depends on the day
for me.

Unless it persists or gets worse I would try not to worry it could have just a fluke. If you eat a yogurt again and it occurs once more check w/ your Dr.. They can do a lactose breath test if needed but usually you can figure it out by elimination.

Some of us have been left w/ reflux and nausea after c-diff. I know I have. I am on several meds. for this currently. If it seems to have cleared up hopefully, it was just a bad night or something that you ate. Mine is very persistent almost constant.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:04 pm

I am also lactose intolerant and have been since before cdiff. Because intolerant after having my daughter 14 years ago. Some things I can tolerate and some I can't. A little milk, a little ice cream I'm okay...but certain cheeses and I'm sick within half an hour. I am very sensitive to the hidden lactose in prescriptions, OTC meds, etc. There is a 'tolerance' level with lactose intolerance. You can eat up until you hit that level and when you hit it you get sick. Some times I get sick with diarrhea and it will last until I guess I'm de-lactosed. Other times, I wil get cramps and have to use the bathroom 5-6 times in say a couple of hours, but it's never to the point of diarrhea.

Like Christina said, it's easy to be tested for and people can go in and out of being lactose intolerant.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:15 am

I too am lactose intolerant, and so far, Lactaid tablets work great for me when I want a bowl of cereal or something else with milk in it (avail. over the counter). Sometimes I can chew just one (ie. if I'm just eating mashed potatoes made with milk, or similar) and others I chew 2 (cereal, ice cream, etc.).

I've also just recently started buying Lactaid milk for cereal and things and it's actually pretty good - I was surprised.

Might be a cheap way to see if that's the problem. My doc ok'd using Lactaid tablets while I was sick, and recommended the Lactaid milk, but "check with doc" as the saying goes.

By the way, Stoneyfield yogurt, causes me terrible gas...it's the only yogurt that does that to me...
~Sheila

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 am

Believe it or not Lactaid makes me sick. It took me a while to figure out why as I have lots of friends who use it without a problem. I finally discovered some Lactaid products contain mannitol (side effect of which can be diarrhea). One of their products does not contain mannitol, but it has magnesium...which also bothers some people.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:19 am

I also do not use Lactaid. Instead I use soymilk and stick to soy products. I can tolerate some levels of cheese and ice cream, etc but if I over do it I am in big trouble. For me it's trial and error. I also eat Activia yogurt which doesn't bother me at all.

Return to “Too Much Information”