question

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
puremess
Regular Contributor

question

Postby puremess » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:58 am

Hello ALL,
I need your opinion once again. Here is my situation. I have been off vanco for 87 days and of xifaxin for 77 days. On the 44th day off vanco I tested positive but wasn't put on any treatment because I didn't have any significant symptoms. Just a loose stool once or twice a day. After a week everything resolved on it's own. After that I had good days and bad days but no diarrhea. For the past 3 days I have been extremly gassy seems like all I do is pass gas, see mucus on the toilet paper. And there is this weird nagging pain in my colon. It feels like I either need to go or pass gass. I go about once a day and no diarrhea. So my question is for people who are no longer on the treatment, do any of you have any similar symptoms? I don't know what to think. I had all these symptoms with active c-diff. Should I test? Thank you all in advance.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:58 am

I had/have a similar situation minus mucous. After my last treatment I still tested positive as well. I had mild symptoms and did not require treatment. It took me 3 months to test negative and at that time only 1 sample was tested so I honestly can't say how accurate that was. For all I know I still may be positive.
It took about 3-4 months for things to get to where they are today. I am six months off of treatment now and still get cramps,diarrhea and gas at least 4-5 times/month. I also still get nauseous quite frequently as well. I have meds. for every symptoms and control it that way. I was diagnosed w/ PI-IBS + dyspepsia although my biopsies came back positive for Microscopic Colitis.
It can take your body a long time to heal. It has been through quite a bit and needs to recover. If you are not having frank diarrhea and are not going constantly I would not be concerned. My non medical opinion would be not to retest as you certainly don't want to retreat w/ antibiotics and undo all of the good bacteria that has now replenished itself. You would end up at the beginning all over again. Of course, if things persist or get worse I certainly would check with your Dr.. It would be extremely rare for a relapse to occur now although we all know that anything is possible w/ c-diff.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:17 am

I totally agree with christina. I was the sameway and still do get weird days. Congrats on beating this thing..

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:30 am

Thank you guys for responses. I just want more days where I feel great. I am sick of thinking everytime I get a cramp, or gas do I still have it or is it back. I just want my mind to forget about this thing. I guess when I reach 90 days that's when I can say I am not gonna relapse?

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08 am

I forgot to mention, that I took lots of gass X after finishing the xifaxan. I had lots of gas and bloating. It really works, try it..

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:07 am

I too get that gassy feeling with sometimes a naseous feeling too.. Gas x is my good friend when I feel like that.. A couple of those and I feel better. If you don't have any I would try it.

need help
New User

Postby need help » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:00 pm

I am really new to this. right now I am on my second bout with this and that is exactly the way mine came back. first lots of gas then the urge to go but nothing but I was also in alot of pain while this was going on
Had surgury for diverticulitus and woke up with something worse, c diff how do you beat it?

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:14 pm

gas x and a heating pad are good for the gas pain... hopefully this round of antibiitics you'll be able to beat it!!

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:26 pm

I have the same symptoms as everybody else who's replied. I'm currently using Rolaids Plus chews and swear by them. They work !!! My GI made a statement "Your colon is the dumbest organ is your body..it takes a while to realize that it's sick and forever to realize that it's gotten well" That kinda says it all doesn't it ?

peanut
Regular Contributor

Postby peanut » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:02 am

i had recently posted a question about the same thing. i was off vanco/xifaxan for 35 days and then began to get mild symptoms (slight blood/mucus, stomach gurgling, cramps) lasted about 4 days or so. did a stool test and it came back positive. decided not to treat it, now its about 2 weeks since and havent seen any signs of reoccurance. aside from daily cramps, gas, naseau. the more im reading the site, and learning the disease, seems as if some of the symtoms stay with alot of folks even in the long months of recovery and healing. has to be expected right.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:44 am

It took me from August 2006 until about November of 2007 to get better after treatment. It was a long,long road but you'll all make it. I now have very mild IBS now and then but I am otherwise doing extremely well.

Hang in there, you're time will come!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:33 am

I "recovered" from C. diff. in l999 & still have IBS. Before C. diff., I never had GI problems. This is why we refer to C. diff. as the "gift that keeps on giving."

I'd rather have IBS than C. diff., however.

Return to “Too Much Information”