Black Specks, Black Strings

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
wellington
New User

Black Specks, Black Strings

Postby wellington » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:16 pm

Ive noticed for about 4-5 days these small black specks in my stool. well, i examined one today. it was on the toilet paper. i examined it with a toothpick. it ended up being a very thin, kind of long (1/4 inch) black string. very strange. ive been eating 1 banana a day, and lots of yogurt.

anyone else had these black stringy things?

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:32 pm

Yes, I had the specks and the strings both when I had active c-diff. Also, orange in color. Now that my c-diff is at rest, I don't seem to have any of the above.

Jodie
Regular Contributor

Postby Jodie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:16 pm

Yes, my 4 month old has these same black specks in his poop. he is currently on flagyl. Hope they go away soon!!!

michellebue
Regular User

Postby michellebue » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:41 pm

yes,

i have had that too. it is very gritty right?

alliejp
New User

Postby alliejp » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:50 pm

I have had this also. Does anyone know what it is?

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:10 pm

I had this too for a long period of time.. It is a part of c diff I guess. I always assumed it was dried blood from the c diff.. , I had that and green poops and at one time orange. Strange things this does to your stools....

37 days and counting :)

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:19 am

There are several things the black stuff could be. Old blood is one, there is also something called Melanosis coli a benign condition where a black pigment has infiltrated the colon wall (almost always caused by laxative abuse). Almost - but not always - I had it (showed on colonoscopy) but I've never used laxatives.

If you're concerned about what it is, talk with your doc, he can order some tests.

Sheila

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:15 pm

When my kids were infants and I first started feeding them mashed bananas, they had strings in their poop. Obviously their digestive systems were not mature. And with cdiff our digestive systems are certainly messed up. So maybe bananas are the culprit. For specks, someone posted once that these could be tiny seeds, from strawberries or the like.

Crissie
Contributor

Postby Crissie » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:53 pm

Actually I think the black specs are banana. I had them when I had C Diff and when I got over it, I noticed them when I ate banana bread. It would make sense especially if you are on the BRAT diet.

marscan
Regular Contributor

Postby marscan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:41 pm

I couldnt pass up the opportunity to post my black spot guess...my doc suggested it was the flagyl. Ive avoided eating bananas so far, so Im casting my vote for the flagyl. God knows its responsible for so many other icky things, makes sense to me..lolol. Be well all!

StudentNurse09
New User

Postby StudentNurse09 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:58 pm

Just wanted to put my two cents in. I have had these black specks as well in my stool ever since I have gotton over the cdiff. Fortunately I took one bout of Flagl and the symptoms went away but my bowels never ever returned the same. The consistancy is soft to moderatly hard and usually yellowish brown, but never dark brown like they were before. I noticed the black specks too even though I dont have active cdiff. I think I will talk to my MD about these just to make sure. Cdiff has also left me with intolerances to certain foods, esp. combination pizza! Well, also I eat a cup of yogurt and banana everyday. Just wanted to let you know that I think it must be from the diff! What a HORRID bacteria!!
Keep Hoping until it is a REALITY (And it will be!)

debralaprade
New User

Postby debralaprade » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Before I had Cdiff, I had this black stringy things everytime I ate a banana. I think if you make banana bread you can also see something similar once you cook it. I have been eating lots of bananas since I have C-diff and it seems to be the only thing I crave. (Maybe due to potassium needs and losing it with diarhea.) I think it is a normal thing.
debra laprade

PatHoover
Regular User

Postby PatHoover » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:19 pm

I also had the black specks. My doctor said it was due to the antibiotic. Once off it I did not notice them as much.
smile...it is contageous

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:51 pm

Some docs. put you on a BRAT diet for GI problems - including C. diff. (Bananas, rice, applesauce, & toast). Most suggest adding other foods gradually. See FAQ-Nutrition.

Student Nurse -- Pls. spread the word about how horrible a disease can be. Many in the medical community still doubt it. Since you've had it, you know differently.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:31 pm

I had the black specks too...on vanco. I googled them and read they might possibly be bacterial die off or from eating bananas. I don't know if either are true. All I know is that I haven't seen them in a long time and I still eat bananas often. Never saw them prior to C Diff, but then again, I wasn't really lookin'! ASK YOUR DOCTOR :-)

Return to “Too Much Information”