Hello

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:05 pm

Wellington

Ask your new GI doctor to take a sample when he does the scope. Then at least you'd get a good sample. Good luck and hang in there. I had the PS colitis type of c-diff for a year and half and now been c-diff free for 6 months so it will happen. Just takes its time.

wellington
New User

Postby wellington » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:09 pm

hi guys. i wanted to post a little update and maybe get some feedback. today: for the first time in 4 weeks, i had a formed, single bowel movement. color was still very yellowish and a funky odor. but i just wanted to give a bit of an update.

my ANA bloodwork came back positive. i was scared of this. everything else was *normal* or *negative*. i spoke with me rhuemetologist.... anyways, im not going to get into that because its inapplicable. i posted a thread in the *too much info* section. because i dont think it really belongs here, maybe some of you can have a look.

michellebue
Regular User

Postby michellebue » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:26 am

hello, wellington.

i just wanted to add-don't worry about the colonoscopy. i would especially not worry about going under. trust me, you really don't want to be conscious. i've had 7 or 8, i really don't even remember anymore. i've had numerous sigmoidoscopies. i can't say that i am not nervous about it everytime but it is always okay. having a doctor you are comfortable with is KEY. don't feel bad about switching your gi. that is a very personal doc, if you know what i mean, you don't want just anyone.

the worst part of the colonoscopy is the prep. honestly. (once they put you under you have no idea what is going on. which in itself can be scary, but the anestisialogist (sp?) is a professional and knows what they are doing.) the stuff you have to drink is horrible. make sure it is very cold. it will still taste bad but be somewhat more tolerable. some people say to ice it as well but i find that the ice just melts and it means you have to drink more. do what works best for you.

don't worry too much about your lab work. sometimes i don't even have mine sent to me because i know i will just over analyse it. i also know that sometimes labs are wrong, positive or negative. i've had that in the past as well. but if you have a good doc they will know that happens and retest and so on. they know what to look for. however, i am aware that sometimes doc's need a swift kick in the butt. but if you are comfortable with them you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions. be prepared! have your questions and symptoms written down before you go in or call. i always hate myself when i forget to write things down because without fail i always forget to tell my doc.

good luck and take care!!

wellington
New User

Postby wellington » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:10 pm

I spoke with the Nurse for the GI I saw on tuesday about my blood work. I had more questions. she told me everything looked good except the ANA part.

She did say that the GI had a look at my CT scan performed ~2weeks ago, on 12/21. and he saw signs of colitis. this whole "colitis" thing seem so ambiguous to me. Theres a bunch of types of colitis. its got me all wound up. this really pissed me off because just two days before when i saw the GI in person I explained to him that the radiologists on the three CTs ive had in the last 6 weeks said everything was normal for the most part. with the exception of the most recent one. radiologist said "minor inflamation" and that was it.

my movements are still soft, loose, yellowish, foul smell. I havent had a *watery* movement in days. its so damn confusing to me. there hasnt been any blood (i dont think!) because i dont know exactly what a bloody movement is suppose to look like. certainly nothing red or black has come out, the water hasnt been discolored a redish color. im not really having abdominal pains or cramps. a little discomfort or tenderness if i start pressing around. i havent had a fever in over a week.

i know you guys arent doctors. im not looking for a diagnosis. but im VERY eager to see my new GI on monday. and i really really wanna get this colonoscopy done. and im going to beg the GI to allow another stool sample.

ontop of all this, i was put on probation at work yesterday because ive missed quite a bit and had to leave early cause of this problem. i offered drs notes but they wouldnt accept them. and i cannot apply for FMLA intermittent leave till ive been there 1 year (1/16). companys dont give a sh*t about their employees anymore.

sorry i just wanted to vent. going to watch fawlty towers, always makes me laugh.

michellebue
Regular User

Postby michellebue » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:46 pm

wellingtion,

i understand the frustration of an unconcerned employer. i went through the same thing three years ago. i left that place very past. i am very lucky right now. i have a very understanding employer. i have not been at work since november. i have hopes to go back next month. just try to take it easy and remember to put your health first.

colitis is a very generic term. there are many different kinds. i have ulcerative colitis which is why i have had so many colonoscopies.

did the radiologist tell you things were normal or docs? i'm confused. i've had cts and if i remember right i thought that the radiologist doesn't tell me anything. they say wait for the doc to look at it. which is why i don't think the radiologist is supposed to say anything to the patient. at least in my experience. did you ask for records of your cts? i always ask for a copy of the report. that way you see most of everything the doctor is seeing. also, don't forget, some doc's are going to look at things differently than other doc's. which is why sometimes we have to change doc's. because we don't feel this one or that one is competent or you weren't comfortable with them....i certainly didn't stick with the first gi i had.

you will know a bloody bowel movement if you have one. there is no question as to whether or not there is blood.

just try to relax. did you get your golytely or whatever prep you are using for the scope? don't forget to refridgerate!!! good luck!!!!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:59 am

wellington,
Your colonscopy from several weeks ago might have looked "OK" if you were on Vanco. or Flagyl.

I didn't get much sympathy from my employer either but no one had heard of C. diff. I worked most of the time I had C. diff. (4 yrs. the first time) except when I went off Vanco. and too ill. I worked there for over 12 years, was a "team player," and came to work on IV's. Six years ago they abolished my job but told me I could stay and do data entry. No thanks. I took early retirement. I assume you are much younger and need to work. Few people know anything about C. diff., and there is little tolerance for illness in the workplace today.

Please put graphic descriptions in TMI. I am tired of moving posts I won't move this thread but will do so (or delete) in the future. As I mentioned before, I am often on the site when I eat breakfast or lunch and graphic bathroom descriptions don't go well with my food. TMI them.

Return to “Too Much Information”