MOVED FROM ANOTHER FORUM

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

MOVED FROM ANOTHER FORUM

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:39 pm

Tammy
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:33 pm Post subject: Some questions

For those of you that have tried Rifaxamin,Is it best to taper ?
What is the dosage some of you had success with?
And also Im on a 6 week taper of Vanco for the second time due to me
having to take a antibiotic again and Im down to one pill a day and getting ready to go to one every other day.
Since I went down to one pill a day,last Saturday all but a few bowel
movements have been loose some really loose which Im trying not to
freek but Im really worried.
So, I thought I might see about trying Rifaxamin and see how it works.
Did anyone try it after a Vanco taper with good results?
Also anyone have loose bowel movements at the end of a taper and still be ok?
Thanks,
Tammy

Jodie
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:09 pm

Hi Tammy
I did 3 rounds of Flagyl and relapsed after each one. My doctor put me on Xifaxin(same as rifaximan) 4 per day for 10 days. But instead of doing that I am tapering myself. I did 4 per day for 5 days, 3 per day for 4 days, 2 per day for 2 days, and 1 per day for 4 days. I have 2 pills left, one for tomorrow and one for Friday...So far so good. I'll let you know if I relapse after last pill on Friday. But on the Flagyl and rifaximan I have always had loose stools, just less frequently. Have not had a regular BM in 6 months.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:44 pm

Although the Xifaxan(Rifaxamin) didn't work for me, I was to take 1,200mg per day. Not tapered just 14 days.
Anytime you adjust your dose things will get "iffy" even if you end up being c-diff free. Your bowel habits will change with a drop of dosage and with each subsequent drop you will notice a difference. Just being on Vanco alone alters your bowel movements.
Although I didn't taper this time around I am now 11 weeks off of Vanco and still have loose stools pretty much everyday. I'm honestly not sure if you ever return to normal. I myself doubt it. We've been through a heck of a lot.
As long as you aren't having continuous bouts of uncontrollable watery diarrhea w/ blood and cramps. I'd keep an eye on things and continue. Of course, if things get worse a call to the Dr. will be in order

Jodie
Regular Contributor

Postby Jodie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:06 pm

Hi
Xifaxin did not work for me either. I did 3 rounds of Flagyl and 12 days of xifaxin 4x per day with a small taper at the end. Relapsed a week later. Devastating! Now on Vanco.

Sheila1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Sheila1 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:55 am

Tammy,
Questran helped my stools considerably. Others have taken Pepto tablets, immodium. If your only symptom is loose stools those might be good options - discuss it with our doctor first though.

Every time I changed a medicine or changed a dosage I had 'symptoms' and by using Bobbie's "3 day rule" was able to work through to the next dose without excess panic. It seems cdiff makes the body very sensitive to changes!

Good luck and wishing you speedy healing!!

Sheila

Return to “Too Much Information”