C Diff???

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
shogan
New User

C Diff???

Postby shogan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:37 pm

I am very scared about the possibility of having this. I was put on Clindamycin for a tooth removal that would have been today. I took it on October 6th for one day. I felt awful, stomach cramps, pains, etc. I stopped it on Sat the 7th. A few days went by then I saw my PCP who laughed at me and sent me home on the 11th without doing anything. So I called a friend of mine who is a GI Doc and we did a stool culture that came back negative. My symptoms continued on stomach cramps, pains, diarrhea, so My GI put me on Flagyl 250mg tid-10 days. I am still having loose orange-brown stoll with mucous that smells odd. On the toilet paper I am seeing a yellow bile or mucous film. I am on my fith day of Flagyl and I do not know if I am getting better or is it the Flagyl that is causing me side effects? I feel full although I am not eating much, very nervous, cramps every now and then. I probably go to the bathroom 3-5 times a day, and I find myself studying it, thinking about it, I am having trouble sleeping, working, etc... I am still questioning the reality that it is probable that I have this! Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

supersmurf
Contributor

Postby supersmurf » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:49 pm

Hi Shogan,
I'm not a Dr or anything but had c-diff for five months as a result of taking Clyndamycin for 10 days. I did three rounds of Vanco (the Flagyl made me so sick) and finally the third round of a six week vanco taper seemes to have smartened things up - athough I've hade some really nasty pain and gas the past few days (10.5 weeks off the vanco).

If I were you I'd be taking probiotics like yoghurt and / or pills like crazy right now. There are many suggestions for good types of probiotics to take in the FAQ section of this website. I live in Canada and find somewhat of a descrepancy between the products available between the two countries so I can't really suggest much specifically. If you can beat this thing on the first try and not be a repeat offender such as many of us here are, all the more power to you.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon,
Supersmurf

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:47 pm

Shogan,
Clindamycin is a big offender in causing cdiff. You could have had a false negative test result; unfortunately, these happen often with cdiff. It's best to wait 10 - 14 days after taking any antibiotic to get a good stool test result. When I took Flagyl the D stopped, but the rest of my symptoms were like yours. And I was quite queasy. Supersmurf's advice about yogurt and probiotics is excellent. Most people (about 80%) beat cdiff after one or 2 rounds of Flagyl or vancomycin, and I hope you are in the lucky majority. Hugs and healing!

shogan
New User

Postby shogan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. Day 8 on Flagyl, feeling better for the most part, although I can not sleep due to night sweats. When my stomach feels upset I can not tell if it is from Flagyl or c diff. Flagyl has been very tough to tolerate.

unhappystomach
Contributor

Postby unhappystomach » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:00 pm

Flagyl was a killer for me. I felt crappy all the time. Hopefully you are getting well and the Flagyl is whats making you feel gross.

Sarah

Return to “Too Much Information”