Is it C-Diff? Please help

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Nat
Brand New Poster

Is it C-Diff? Please help

Postby Nat » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:36 am

At the end of July I started having D every day ( took pennicilin 2 1/2 months earlier for a sinus infection), it was either watery, explosive or pudding like.Because it was painless I figured it was related to some supplements I was taking. I stopped taking them but it continued eventually it got to be painful (cramps) and I started using immodium everyday.

However I never changed my diet and never really worried since I had seen occasionnal mucus but never any blood I figured it would pass.

After one month I finally ended up in the hospital for dehydratation. I got a ct scan of my abdomen (which revealed a 8mm limph node) but they forgot to get a stool test. The following week I went back again this time for a pericarditis. I am 43 years old and had until then always been healthy. Pericarditis is usually caused by a virus or bacteria ( however because C-Diff remains in the intestine my doctor doesn't think that it is related) The pericarditis went away with anti-inflam. medication

Only after my second hospital stay did I get a stool test for which I tested positive for C-Diff but negative for the toxins. My doctor put me on flagyl for 10 days, right away I felt better and didn't have any BM for 24 hours after which I had my first formed (although soft) stool since July 31st. I was thrilled! Unfortunately everyday after that it got worse until I realized that I had been taking 1 pill 3tid intead of 2 pills 3tid. Yes I know...So I started on the regular dosage and I went 2 days w/o any BM but the same scenario occured again, it went from one formed (but soft) stool per day till the D came back.

This time my doctor told me to stop Flagyl and go on Vancomycin ( 6weeks starting with the 1st 2 weeks at 250 mg 4tid) this time the first day I went 3 days w/o BM but when I finally got one it was more like soft strings. Also with the Vancomycin I changed my diet to rice, bread and no diary. However not only I have bloating every night but now on day 6 I had 5 BM and it seems like the D is coming back.

I am very worried, on one hand I'm thinking that since each time I went on antibiotics my condition greatly improved at first which makes me think that I must be fighting C-Diff or at least some type of bacteria that responds to the meds.

However all I have read about treatments of C-Diff are people getting back to normal with the meds but sometimes relapsing after the end of treatment. What about relapsing while on the meds?

Also I tested neg for the toxins, at this point (day 6 on Vancocymin)the D seems to be coming back but aside from bloating and heavyness in my abdomen I have no other symptoms.

About the slightly (less than 8mm) enlarged lymph nodes my doctor seems to think that this is normal since I am fighting an infection although a follow up will be done later for safety.

Can anyone tell me if this (at first getting better although not completely normal with the meds but then relapsing while still taking them) is possible with C-Diff.? I feel very anxious about the possibility that it might be something even more serious.

Thank you!

Allison
Administrator

Postby Allison » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:09 pm

Hi,

I don't think you can establish that you have indeed, actually relapsed...not with the symptoms you describe while still taking meds.
Flagyl and Vancocin can both cause AAD (antibiotic associated diarrhea), whether cdiff is in the picture or not. You can expect stools to *not* be normal at all while taking them.
If you don't see fever, blood, or feel any flu-like "sick" symptoms, you are probably not relapsing while on vanco. That would be extremely rare.

It is common to still suffer from some cramping, bloating, alot of gas, stools that are frequent, soft, mushy, stringy, and all sorts of colors while on the meds. Talk to your doc - he/she will probably not be concerned at all unless you develop actual bad, watery d.

It's also very normal to be concerned there might be some other dread pathology involved when we don't get over cdiff right away. I think all relapsers have worried about this at one time or another.
Again, voice your concern to doc if your anxiety level gets the best of you. Docs usually order more tests if they're suspicious there may be underlying problems. If there is little concern, try to relax about it.

Nat
Brand New Poster

Postby Nat » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:05 am

Thanks Allison!

It's reassuring to know that it's okay not to be "normal" while on the meds.

I called my Dr a few days ago and she recommended Metamusil, she said that since I only eat rice, bread and plain chicken I wasn't getting any fiber to add some bulk. It seems to have helped in the sense that at least the D hasn't come back.

I guess this is not like getting a sinus infection going on antibiotics and feeling better after 48 hours I wasn't expecting this slow recovery. Thanks again.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:23 pm

Nat,
Be careful about taking antibiotics in the future as they can cause another episode of C. diff. in some people. See FAQ-Resp. Infections for hints on treating sinus infections w/o antibiotics. I had sinus surgery, & it was a Godsend, but it isn't w/o risk. See a good ENT if you continue to have problems.

Return to “Too Much Information”