Normal!

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
WV Mom
New User

Normal!

Postby WV Mom » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:25 pm

It's too early to call this a success story, so I'll post here. Mom had a normal BM today -- the first one in a month. Woohoo! It's also her 75th birthday, so maybe this was the gods' b-day present.

What finally turned the tide (or has seemed to) was eliminating all milk products -- even yogurt and milk derivatives like her supplemental protein.

Now if we can successfully reintroduce milk products -- and get her decubitus ulcer healed and wean her off the ventilator -- she'll be almost back to normal!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:55 am

Hurray! I surely hope your mom has beaten the beast. Good luck and hugs.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:07 am

Good joB!!
Be careful introducing milk again. I am now c-diff free and still cant have milk products thanks to IBS. Just do it slowly and keep track what you give her.

WV Mom
New User

Postby WV Mom » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:12 pm

I'm planning to use something called Ultra Dairy Support. Ever hear of it? I hadn't; I just ran across it on a website, and it looked like it may be helpful:

Supplemental Facts
Serving Size: 1 Vegetarian Capsule

Main Ingredients / Amount Per Serving
Proprietary Enzyme Blend / 220 mg
Lactase / 1000 ALU
Protease / 630 BLGU
Lipase / 250 FCCLU
Lactobacillus Acidophilus / 1 Billion Cells
Lactobacillus Rhamnosus / 1 Billion Cells

Other Ingredients: cellulose, water, (may contain one or more of the following: magnesium stearate, vegetable stearin and silica).

Contains no added sugar, salt, dairy, yeast, wheat, corn, soy, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:08 pm

I've never heard of it, but there are so many probiotics out there now. Let us know if it works. Evidently, the most successful probiotics are those that have the highest # of live, active bacteria. I suppose variety helps, too.

WV Mom
New User

Postby WV Mom » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:48 pm

Bobbie wrote:I've never heard of it, but there are so many probiotics out there now. Let us know if it works. Evidently, the most successful probiotics are those that have the highest # of live, active bacteria. I suppose variety helps, too.

I was interested in it mostly for the enzymes. I've heard of taking lactase if you're lactose intolerant, but my mom was apparently also reacting to milk protein. So the protease in it should be helpful.

I will let you know how it works. Once it comes. It's backordered. Must be popular?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:19 pm

Hope your mother's progress continues. Keep us posted.

WV Mom
New User

Postby WV Mom » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:43 am

Still normal!

Because of mom's spinal cord injury (from a tumor and surgery to remove it -- this is what left her paralyzed 23 years ago), mom has a "bowel program" twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays. Last week's bowel programs were both normal. Woohoo!

The Ultra Dairy Support hasn't come yet, but that's okay, because I'm only making one change to her diet every 3-4 days. On Friday I added egg protein (albumin) in place of her usual milk-derived protein. No problem so far. *crosses fingers*

I'll keep posting. :)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:50 pm

Sounds successful so far. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

Return to “Too Much Information”