Recovering after 2nd relapse

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
HMC1101
Brand New Poster

Recovering after 2nd relapse

Postby HMC1101 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Hi there ! New to this forum but I need some advice ! Like many of you , my C-diff started after taking Clindamycin for a tooth infection . Shortly after ending my antibiotic , my husband had to be taken to the ER for pancreatitis (I am certain this is where I acquired the C-diff). I was first treated for colitis with Flagyl and Cipro , relapsed and was diagnosed with Covid about 9 days after then relapsed again another 9 days later (both relapsed treated with Vanco 10days). I am currently 21 days post infection and overall feeling good !
However , I did have a “scare” 7 days post Vanco and went to the ER. My stool was dark greenish brown and more loose than it had been so my anxiety kicked in . They tested my stool , and it came back positive via PCR and EIA was mentioned in the comments that that had tested positive as well . My stool has been consistent as far as how many times I go (1-2 a day) once a week I will have bouts where I got 3-6 times , seems I am suffering from post IBS.
The ER doc wanted to put me on flagly again and I said NO!! But my PCP wants me to continue to heal my gut with florastor and probiotic foods and to try to normalize my diet again . I am back to being my energetic self and rarely have pain .
I guess my question is , has anyone still had both test positive but no symptoms and no issues ? Nurse in ER said that my stool didn’t smell or look like Cdiff to her when she was collecting it .

I do have mostly formed stools with light mucus and some “fuzzy stools” when I eat something that’s not on my fabulous recovery menu lol !

Any advice on recovery would be great ! Any reassurance that inconsistent colors and forms of poop is normal ! Sorry so long but this is the first group I had the courage to reach out to

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovering after 2nd relapse

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:06 am

Hi HMC1101 and welcome to the site. You can find more information for new posters in the first forum.

After having C diff, you can test positive for a while and treatment is generally based on symptoms and not on test results. If you are feeling well, your own body may just kick the rest of this out of your system. If things start to get worse, then call your doctor. Overtreating can result in endless relapses. That is what happened to me. If you are making progress with the Florastor and probiotic foods, I would do what your PCP says for now and see how it goes.

HMC1101
Brand New Poster

Re: Recovering after 2nd relapse

Postby HMC1101 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:37 pm

Thank you very much ! I was adamant about no more antibiotics and I’m glad my PCP backs me up on it ! I do have an appt with a GI in September just to rule out any damage and to have a second pair of eyes on my situation .

As far as having one “bad day” a week , going to the bathroom 3-6 times mostly in the morning ( no diarrhea) and going once or not at all every other day , does that sound like typical recovery symptoms ? It’s new to me , I didn’t have any Gi issues before Cdiff .

Thank you for the reply ! Put my mind at ease for sure !

Return to “Too Much Information”