C Diff recurrence?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

C Diff recurrence?

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:43 pm

As some of you might remember, I had an FTM 9 months ago. I tested negative several times after the FMT, but I struggled with GI issues most of the days since I contracted C Diff. Had loose and soft bowel, abdominal pain, bloating, etc., But never had a watery D. Dr told me I had PI-IBS as they tell most people with GI issues after C Diff.

However, today I have severe waterly D, 3 times so far ( in the last 4 hours), and my GI is growling, I know soon I will have another episode of watery D. I have all of the symptoms of the first day when I got sick in Feb 2020, and a few months later I found out was C Diff.

I had my usual bland diet, chicken breast, quinoa, boiled green beans last night. But, I added a piece of grilled salmon. I have had grilled salmon before, maybe once a month, but never had any issues with it. I will wait until tomorrow before getting tested, but I am convinced C Diff is back.

BTW I had my second Pfizer shot on Monday, April 16, 8 days ago. Could it be Pfizer? I don't know what to think. It feels like C Diff and C Diff complications will never end.
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

roy
Administrator

Re: C Diff recurrent?

Postby roy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:08 pm

Might be better to stick to the 3 day rule before testing.
Its concerning that you say you tested negative several times, you should not keep pushing for tests.
Tests are not perfect, even with only a 5% error margin if you test 20 times one might be a false result.
If that ones positive you could end up treating when you dont need to.
Even if it is c.diff you should not test so soon.
Chances are it could resolve in a couple of days.
Obviously if it gets a lot worse or lasts longer than 3 days get a Drs advice.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Re: C Diff recurrence?

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:24 pm

Thanks, Roy,

The second day, the watery D continued. It is very concerning and just the thought of another year of C Diff is a nightmare. The Dr order the test. I will pickup the kit tonight and will wait one more day before getting tested (3 days rule).

I quit nicotine gum 6 weeks ago. Somewhere online I read quitting smoking might cause UC (ulcerative colitis0) which can cause C Diff. Not sure if quitting smoking is the same as quitting nicotine gum. I also quit nicotine gum 4 months before I contracted the initial C Diff in Feb 2020, I started again after getting C Diff. But since at that time and about 14 days before getting C Diff my hygienist sprayed a local antibiotic in one of the deep pockets in my gum called Aristen which is Minocycline 50 mg, I thought that caused the C diff and not quitting the nicotine Gum. But now, I am starting to wonder if contracted C Diff again and both times were because of stopping the use of nicotine gum.

I don't know what else to say, the fight against C Diff is just too much and I don't know if I can go through it again!
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

healthys
Contributor

Postby healthys » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:00 pm

Ali-Mar,

Covid shots can cause diarrhea from what I have read. I got my moderna shot last Thursday and have been having loose stools for 5-6 days now. These started about 48 hours after the shot. So I am pretty sure yours is probably because of the second shot of Pfizer as the second shot can present with even more side effects. Just watch it for a few days. It should resolve soon. People like us who have PI-IBS have sensitive guts and it can definitely get triggered from a vaccine. It's most likely not cdiff but just a side effect from the covid shot. Hope you feel better soon!

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:48 pm

Thanks, Healthys, I waited 3 days and did the following test early today, thanks got the results were negative. I know the Toxin test is not very accurate but not sure of the antigen test, I think the accuracy of the antigen test is higher

Clostridium difficile antigen negative.
Clostridium difficile toxin A and B negative.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:17 am

I had the Pfizer shot and got a little looser stool the next day, but nothing after that. I doubt that it is the shot unless it started within a couple of days. The Moderna shot gives more D from what I understand. If your test is negative and the D continues, I would ask for a stool culture to see if you have any other type of bacteria. I got campylobacter after c difficile and the symptoms were pretty much the same.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:58 am

Thanks, Beth, I picked the kits to test for other pentagons, will drop them off next day or so

Return to “Too Much Information”