bad days or relapse?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

bad days or relapse?

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:19 pm

I had the FTM 3 months ago, and it felt I was recovering very slowly. I couldn't tolerate any new food, so I have been on a bland diet and have been adding and trying out a little bit of new food every few days. I had boiled red meat for the first time on Sunday night. Monday went very well, but on Tuesday I had mushy bowel 3 times. Also, on Tuesday (yesterday) I had my flu shot. Today I still have a lot of abdominal pain and cramping. And bowel are mushy,

Can flu shot cause a relapse?
Is it possible to see the bad effect of new food 30 hours after you ate? I was fine for over 30 hours after I ate the red meat.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

poppy86
Regular Contributor

Re: bad days or relapse?

Postby poppy86 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:18 pm

Hi Ali-Mar, I'm sorry you had a rough time recently. In my experience, it's entirely possible to have problems about 30 hours after trying a new food. A couple weeks ago I ate some salmon, and 27 hours later, I had a lot of D, which I knew was the salmon. I still felt a little off for a day afterward. I hope that your discomfort is also just some IBS. I don't know about the flu shot, but it's possible it could upset your stomach too.

In addition, sometimes (but not always) red meat bothers me as well, it can be hard to digest. I'm rooting for you to get better and eventually make a full recovery. I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm almost 5 months out now and still have a great deal of IBS symptoms.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:31 pm

I would doubt the flu shot would cause a relapse maybe mushy stool but not a relapse. I know I have a touch of a problems with a fatty steak but I can tolerate hamberger just fine. I am still having problems myself but I really been pushing the food boundries. My GI doctor was more of the more varity of food the better and I agree with the thinking. I am 8 months out of treatment but sick for almost 3-4 month before I got treatment. She just thinks it takes months to years to recover with the pi ibs. Just like a sprained ankle. My PT brain always thinks if your down 1 week it takes 2 to recover so I just at the bare minimum mark. Keep trying things. I ate chili, yes chili, the other night and did just fine. I was totally shocked. However, I can not do any soup that dairy in it. Just trial and error. I also have do and don't foods but it all be trial and error on everything. Lately I just been going for it trying to get over my fear of foods. I guess that was a bunch of ramble but it been a lot of ups and downs so hang in there.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:08 am

Spike,
Intolerance to dairy is common after any GI upset, especially c diff. It usually improves after time.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:11 am

Ali-Mar,

Doubt if flu shot contributes to c diff. It is a killed virus. Important to take precautions with COVID 19 around.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:48 am

Regarding food reactions - I have had problems 2 and even sometimes 3 days later. It is possible. Usually 2 for me.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:57 pm

Flu shot has nothing to do with diff so cross that worry off your list! Don’t let anxiety make your innards go crazy.

PamO
New User

Postby PamO » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:42 pm

If you have not been eating meat for some time, it might be difficult to digest at first and I think that this is likely to cause some reactions. Your gut requires different enzymes and bacteria to break down animal protein, as in meat, than other foods. So, it's not necessarily that you can't eat or tolerate meat anymore, but rather that your digestive system is not "primed" for it anymore and needs to "re-adjust".

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:19 am

Thank you all for your replies, the reason I am worried about the flu shot, it is because they contain antibiotics, see the following chart

https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/v ... ntibiotics
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am

I agree with the others, flu shot is far m ore important to get. Because I have worked in a hospital, I have had it every year Post CDIFF with no issues.

As far as diet, there are many GI's who say to get back to "regular diet" as soon as you can. That may work for some but did not for me. I was not able to bring beef back into my diet...at all. After trying about 10 times over several months, I gave up. Everyone is different with diet. I also think those of us who were on treatments for a long extended time have more problems getting back to normal. Its something I have noticed on the site over the years. The gut does get affected by all of this.

I would say diet is very individual, do what is best for you. Take it slow...as you have. It took me 2 years to get back to nearly 100% without beef in my diet. I am OK with that.
I am starting over now....3 weeks out of a Dificid taper and taking things slow.

Take Care

nanciT

Return to “Too Much Information”