POST FMT Issues

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

POST FMT Issues

Postby Ali-Mar » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:03 am

***moving this post to TMI section as per requirements *******

It has been 7 weeks since I had the FMT. It has been a rocky road. I started have D since Sunday.

I am still on a bland diet, eating the same food except for I had a little bit of Saurkruat with Lunch on Saturday.

I had two bowels on Sunday Bristol 5 (soft) and 2nd was bristol 6 (mushy and foamy!). Monday I had 3 bowels, 1st one soft ( Bristol 5), 2nd one was Bristol 6 (mushy and foamy) and the 3rd was watery and a lot of foam! I normally don't have foam around stool!

Called the gi office he wants me to test and asked me to drop off samples, will be dropping off the samples today

Does foam on stool mean anything?

Thanks
Ali
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

NS789
Regular Contributor

Re: POST FMT Issues

Postby NS789 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:03 pm

Ali, I'm sorry to hear you're still having a tough time. I actually can't believe it's been 7 weeks since your FMT! It seems like you were just talking about having it done.

I'm obviously no expert, but it sounds like ongoing irritable bowel to me. And maybe a build up of gas.

I wonder if your doctor would prescribe some kind of IBS related drug to settle things down a bit and reduce the irritation/inflammation.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:27 am

Do try the FODMAP diet , it has been very helpful after my FMT.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:57 pm

Thanks, NS789 and Georgina,

The GI prescribed Dicyclomine 10 mg for PI-IBS a few weeks ago, but I never used it. I try to avoid med as much as I can because of the side effects.

I have been on Low FODMAP diet for a while now

I received my test results today thank god they are negative even the Antigen GDH. It feels like there might a light at the end of the tunnel.

Since the Antigen is negative, I guess it means I am not a carrier?

Thanks
Ali
Last edited by Ali-Mar on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

DaveMal
New User

Postby DaveMal » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:56 am

Congratulations on another negative test, Ali! Try to relax and give yourself time to heal and your biome to work itself out. I'm sure you're ready to get back to "normal" asap. My own lingering symptoms are comparatively mild (and steadily improving), but even I am sometimes frustrated by the slow, slllooowww rate of progress. Just takes time, I guess.

Wishing you and your family well.

David

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:15 pm

Dicyclomine (Bentyl) is an antispasmodic and the only real side effect is dry mouth. It didn’t really work for me but another one, hyoscamine worked better. I wouldn’t hesitate to take it.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks, Ril,

Another GI dr told me to to take a natural med called IBGard for IBS... I have ordered it on Amazon and will try it

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:04 am

It has been 9 weeks since I had the FMT and still having a lot of issues, bloating, gas, abdominal pain and haven’t had one formed bowel yet.

I am still on bland diet and doing no FODMAP. Anytime I add a new food to my diet even a healthy boiled food, I end up with loose bowel and multiple trips to bathroom And it lest for 3 or 4 days. The recovery is very rocky and rough..

Haven’t had any sweets , dairy , fatty food, gluten, or alcohol for over 7 months now and no coffee for last 9 weeks!!!

When does it end? Anything I can do to speed up the recovery? Should I be adding more food regardless of the symptoms to get the gut to get use to regular food?

My diet is very simple: boiled eggs, banana, mash potato, quinoa, boiled green been and boiled check breast. Maybe that is the reason I am not getting better?

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:58 am

Tomorrow ( Monday Sep 28) will be 11 weeks since I had my FMT... I still haven’t had one formed bowels, all bowels are soft/5 or loose/6. I am having abdominal pain but is much less now and feeling gassy all the time.

I am still on bland diet and cannot tolerate new food. What worries me to most is I woke up several times last night due to rectal pain and headaches. This is the first time I am having the rectal pain in a long time. I didn’t see any blood in stool this morning but I still have the racial pain, but no more headache.

DaveMal
New User

Postby DaveMal » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:32 pm

I wish I could offer a miracle solution, Ali. All I can say is I feel similarly 11 weeks after finishing my courses of Flagyl. Some pains will return then subside again. Haven't had a "normal" bm, but don't have any B or excessive M. If you find a miracle cure, let me know! I had hoped I would feel better by now, too. I guess we just need to stay the course. Still better than rushing to the bathroom twenty times a day and expecting the worst, though. :)

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks Dave, yes you are obsoletely right, the recovery is slow and rocky but much better than the active CDI infection... I’m very glad you were able to beat the beast with the Flagyl, that is very impressive and rarely happens

Flagyl didnt work for me, neither Vanco or taper Dificid, but I feel very lucky I was able to get an FMT during the COVID

Return to “Too Much Information”