Are normal BMs possible on Vanco?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
NS789
Regular Contributor

Are normal BMs possible on Vanco?

Postby NS789 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:45 pm

For those who have taken Vanco, did you have normal BMs at any point while taking it?

I'm currently on a Vanco taper. I took 4 pills a day for 2 weeks, then 3 pills a day for a week, and now I'm down to 2 pills for a week. I haven't had a normal BM yet. I only go once a day and it's not D, but I still wouldn't say it's my "normal" BM.

I'm hoping the loose stool is a result of the Vanco itself and not that the c diff is still there. But I'm wondering what others' experiences have been.
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Are normal BMs possible on Vanco?

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:04 pm

I have to go back(2014/15) when I was on Vanco for 3 months. Nothing was "normal" for a very long time. I do remember things seemed consistent while on Vanco, but as soon as I got off it, the Post IBS started.

It can take a long time for recovery, it really depends on each person. I know it took me a long time. I am now 9 weeks post Dificid after getting CDIFF again and things are not normal. I have post IBS, good days and bad days when the nausea will hit me.

I am sure others will jump in here with their experiences

NanciT

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:42 am

I am 2 weeks post Dificid taper and I still dont have normal bowel, they are loose or semi formed, but never formed. My GI dr told my I will never have my normal bowels again, but the goal is to get as close as possible
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:53 pm

I never had normal bms on vanco. Some people do after c diff and others don't get back to what they were before c diff, but get a new normal. As long as you have formed stools, I guess that is the goal.

KrisM50
Brand New Poster

Postby KrisM50 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:05 am

Hi NS789,
I'm curious if things have returned to “normal” for you, or anyone else posting or reading here?
This is my first rodeo (and hopefully last!) with C.diff and I’m wondering the same thing about when to expect a normal BM. Just started Vanco 3 days ago, during a 3-night hospital stay. I've at least progressed to semi-formed stools and only 1-2x a day. But still GREEN and weird.
I'm so upset and unsettled by this crazy diagnosis, and one that I never even heard of until now! I wouldn't wish this on anybody and am worried for my kids or husband to ever have to deal with C.diff.

Would appreciate any feedback,
Kristen

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:12 am

Hi KrisM50 Welcome to the site, please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you had to find us. If you read through the site, some return to "normal" faster than others, some have Post IBS for some time...and others are still struggling.
I did OK on Vanco while on the medication, it was not until I completed it that the Post IBS started. Hopefully this one round of Vanco will work for you, it has worked for many on the site.
It took me along time to recover but I had several relapses in 2014/15. In my case, semi normal after a year.

I am currently 3 months out after being in the hospital on IV antibiotics and getting CDIFF again. I went on a long taper of Dificid and things are slow to recover this time also. I keep a close eye on my diet, go bland when I have bad days.

As far as your family, if you can stick to your own bathroom, clean with bleach or bleach wipes that helps alot. I was able to do this. We do not see family transmission on this site too much. The antibiotics are the major factor

Take care and I hope you feel better soon

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:27 pm

Hi Kris,
What she said!
Not everybody relapses...the majority of people are fine after 1 or 2 rounds of meds, as was I.
I have been c diff free for 8 years now. I have been fortunate to only need 1 dose of IV antibiotics over the years.

PI IBS was my main problem but not everyone has that issue. It has been a big problem for me but I had IBS in the past so this made it terrible. There are a lot of treatments now and a lot of hints on this site from several of us. You may not have this experience.

As you recover your BMs may be what we call the “new normal”. Don’t be alarmed if when you are coming off meds you don’t return to previous patterns. Your gut will be recovering from serious irritation and often takes time to find a look and pattern that is what you are used to.

Good luck and Happy and healthy new year.
Rita

Return to “Too Much Information”