Relapse or bug?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Ann775
New User

Relapse or bug?

Postby Ann775 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:43 am

I am a 34 yr old female. Had a positive c.diff test done back in mid-February after taking clindamycin. I was placed on Vanco for 10 days. Since stopping Vanco a week ago my stools have been a bit all over the place, which I hear is normal. I’ve been following the 3 day rule. However last night I had extreme liquid diarrhea and stomach cramping and again this morning. I never had extreme liquid diarrhea like this or stomach cramping when I had my active c.diff infection. I used to have 3-5x a day of mushy non-formed stools with visible mucous. What are the chances that this is a relapse that is much stronger than my original infection, or is it a bug?

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse or bug?

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:18 pm

Episodes of c diff can vary and don’t have to look the same. This honestly doesn’t sound good but is still only 2 episodes.
I would eat bland and see what happens.
If you regulate today and through the morning fine, but if it continues or worsens don’t wait 3 days and call your dr immediately.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
Rita

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:56 pm

Thank you for helping out! I haven’t needed to go again since this morning, but I’ll see how the rest of the evening goes. I did eat dairy last night for dinner so I’m wondering if that had something to do with it. But I never had any issues with any foods prior to c.diff.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Food intolerances sometimes develop after c diff. Dairy is one of the things we advise people to avoid during recovery because of frequency of dairy, or lactose intolerance developing. Try to eat bland, avoid fried foods, heavy fiber such as raw vegetables, red meat, etc and hopefully things will settle down. I could not eat salad for a year after c diff and that is a common issue with many people. Your gut has been through a lot.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:22 am

I could not tolerate dairy after c difficile even though I was never lactose intolerant before.

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:11 am

I ended up being fine the whole rest of the day. I ate bland foods all day and am still doing okay this morning. I feel constantly worried that I’m going to eat the wrong thing or that the c.diff will come back. I’m starting to really grasp how long recovery is going to be. How long does it take to start becoming somewhat regular again? I feel so confused. So many ups and downs. My doctor told me to keep waiting it out since a test could show positive even if it’s not active right now. But the waiting is hard.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:33 am

Dairy is a problem for most people , even though you may not be lactose intolerant , you can still react from the casein (especially the casein in cow dairy product). Try goat cheese (sharp cheese ) in limited quantities and see if it's better.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:56 pm

Goat Cheese is Good

at least for me. Costco carries the real stuff in two-pack rolls.

Ann775
New User

Postby Ann775 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:26 pm

I’ll have to start having goat cheese! Sounds yummy!

Return to “Too Much Information”