Heavy periods & tummy safe treatment after C. Diff

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Rev1119
Contributor

Heavy periods & tummy safe treatment after C. Diff

Postby Rev1119 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:50 pm

38-year old female, 15 weeks post-vanco - severe IBS-D even before C. Diff.

Hi all - this one is for the ladies (figured it should go under TMI because while not poop-related, it's kind of TMI?) I am likely starting perimenopause (we start early in my family) and the first few days of my periods have been horribly heavy for nearly 5 years.

After putting it off, I will finally be seeing a good OB-GYN for treatment. Previous doctors have told me I need to get on the "mini pill" (progesterone only). I am concerned as I have heard that birth control can have GI side effects and my stomach is a mess after C. Diff. Has anyone else experienced heavy menstrual bleeding? Any treatment that didn't wreck your stomach or possibly require antibiotics (like surgery) afterwards? Thanks in advance!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Heavy periods & tummy safe treatment after C. Diff

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:25 am

Progesterone pills will actually help slow your gut down, not enough to make you constipated but just make it a bit more lazy. I'm saying that because i've been taking progesterone for a very long time and i also have a progestin IUD . I had severe IBS D that i thought i was a CDiff legacy , but after awhile it turned out that it was actually endometriosis (bowel endometriosis , uterine ligament endometriosis etc )and that was keeping my gut inflamed. I underwent surgery to excise all the endo implants ,and since then my IBS is really mild. In those years there were a few days when i was better , and those were the days when i was on Progeterone (i was taking 10 days / month).After 4 years of almost constant D and pain ,after surgery i turned a corner,my BM are back to normal , sometimes and depends of what i eat i will have more gas and maybe a softer stool and increased frequency.I am still on progesterone pill and IUD though , to prevent endo from coming back.

Have you been checked for adenomiosys? This condition often results in really heavy and very painful periods.

Spike
Contributor

Postby Spike » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:06 pm

Has your doctor ever talked to you about an ablation? Not sure if antibiotic are required afterward. Might be something to bring up to her and see if your a candidate.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:00 am

I had an endometrial ablation 21 years ago. It was a blessing. No more heavy periods after that. They did give me one dose of an IV antibiotic, but that was before c difficile. Not sure if that is mandatory with that surgery. I had parathyroid and breast surgery after c difficile and did not get an antibiotic when I told the doctors my c diff history. They agreed to do it without and I had no issues.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:57 pm

When I had c diff in 1993, I was 52 and going thru "the change" with a lot of problems. After c diff, everything stopped and I never had another period.. Tough way to conquer menopause,

Rev1119
Contributor

Postby Rev1119 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:04 pm

Georgina - I've had multiple pelvic exams and ultrasounds. Would those be able to determine if I had endometriosis or adenomyosis? While my periods have been beyond heavy the first few days for years, they are not painful in the least and doctors have all said my exams/tests were normal, so I'm thinking I most likely don't have those conditions? All of the doctors say "it's hormones" and recommend progresterone pills. I tell them "I'll think about it" and then they send me on my merry way. Due to my IBS-D and awful stomach, I've been concerned about the side effects of progesterone pills - although I know that everyone is different, did you experience many side effects on these pills?

Spike - My doctor has not talked to me about an ablation. I've read that there is a greater risk of problems/needing it done again in women under 40. Perhaps that is why they did not mention it to me? While it is a surgery that I've briefly considered, I have read mixed reviews and will definitely be doing more research/asking my doctor about it.

Beth22 - Along those lines, how did you fare after the ablation? One fear of mine is getting an infection (although the risk is apparently low), because infection = antibiotics, which is a big fear of mine for obvious reasons.

Bobbie - Although it must have been nice to have everything "stop", I agree with your sentiment and feel that there are most definitely better ways than C. Diff to conquer menopause!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:16 am

I did not have any problems with infection after the ablation. I just remember feeling some pressure and had the urge to urinate more than usual for a few days because my uterus presses on my bladder. Other than that, I don't remember anything strange and I never had another heavy period and was no longer anemic. I hated taking iron pills and I did not need to any more.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:19 am

Pain is one of the most important symptoms , if you do not have pain it's unlikely to have it.
The only side effect of progesterone was that it caused sleepiness and because of that reason i was supposed to take it right before bed.

Return to “Too Much Information”