Vanco taper experiences ??

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Vanco taper experiences ??

Postby hledgess » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 am

Hi I thought this would be an appropriate place to post .. so I saw my dr wed.. I’m now in vanco twice a day then once next week then every other n stop .. I had a lot gas last night with a significant amount of stool at 5 am due to not sleeping but being woke up by a friend to fix my heater .. it didn’t work and got woke up just now by my daughter talking me bc she thought she was going to school and that made me shake and have to go again.. it burned and was formed floating but then turned into D .. if you were on a taper like this.. what was your experience? I just want to be better and I still have weeks of the medicine

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Re: Vanco taper experiences ??

Postby BetsyS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:57 pm

I just finished a taper for my third round of Vanco, and my experience has been very similar to yours. I never really had a normal stool while I was on the full dose; just perpetual D, loose stools, cramping and bloating at least 5 times a day, but things gradually improved when I started the taper. There were several days I got discouraged; every time I reduced my dose I slid back a day or two, but my body eventually adjusted. There were also times in the taper I wanted to call the Dr because I still wasn't having regular bms, but I started to realize things were actually slowly improving. For example, I wasn't going to the bathroom as often, stools were becoming more loose than D, didn't always bloat with every bm, cramping wasn't as severe, etc. Finally I had a normal bm the day of my last dose. It's been a couple of days now, and rather than slide back, I have had normal bms, much to my surprise. Keeping my fingers crossed!

This is my first go-around with C Diff, and this is all new to me. I've been spending a lot of time reading posts on this site. Initially I was discouraged because so many had normal bms once they got on Vanco, which was not my case. But the more I read, I'm realizing everyone's experience is different. In my case, it seems the taper was what I actually needed for my colon to heal. I hope you find it the same

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:00 pm

Yea it’s definitely strange bc I was one that was fine after almost a week on it.. then 3 weeks in I got worse again .. it’s been a wild ride .. thank you for responding and sorry you had to join the group

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:16 pm

Thanks- I definitely feel a bond.

I'm discouraged again today. D and bloating returned after 3 days of solid stools, and the color is yellow, yellow, yellow; not a good sign. I'm hoping it's a minor setback, but will call my ID doctor if it continues 3 days. Rats!

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:45 am

Oh no hopefully it stops!

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:30 pm

Betsy- did you find anything out ? I went down to one a day yesterday and woke up with first solid but at the end of the bm it turned color and was diarrhea.. ate a banana and now I’m cramping and shaking like I have to go.. over all of this

BetsyS
Regular Contributor

Postby BetsyS » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:29 am

Hi! I've seen some of your other posts, and I hope you start doing better. I temporarily regressed every time I reduced my dose during my taper. I think my colon had to adjust...

I had a formed stool on day 3, so I didn't call the doctor. I posted on another thread; I have been in this pattern of 2-3 days of formed stools, then 2 days of D. My mom is convinced the C Diff is not gone. I guess I'm glad I am at least finally having formed stools part of the time. Although I'm sick of D, it's actually an improvement. Long story short, I'm going to observe the 3/3 rule before calling my ID.

I am starting to see a connection with my activity level and D. I seem to have formed stools on days I'm quiet, and they tend to be more loose when I'm more active or more stress. I get explosive WD on days I do too much. Curious if anyone else has experienced the same.

Return to “Too Much Information”