WATERY DIARRHEA POST-INFECTION

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
gordita
Brand New Poster

WATERY DIARRHEA POST-INFECTION

Postby gordita » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:08 pm

50 yr old female
I was diagnosed with c diff in November following Cipro & Flagyl treatment for colitis likely resulting from food poisoning. I finished a 10 day course of Dificid approximately 8 weeks ago. Unfortunately things are far from normal. During Dificid treatment & the first 2 weeks or so after, BMs improved in form & smell. However I have only had 2 solidly formed BMs since starting Dificid treatment through today. My BMs are now all diarrhea; brown, yellow, or green in color; and very very soft to full-on watery with particles of what I suspect are undigested food. My BMs seem to mostly occur early mornings (6am-9am) and evenings (8am-10am) & sometimes overnite.

Raw vegetables result in green watery diarrhea soon after eating. Blueberries & avocados cause similar reactions; color varies. Cooked vegetables - no luck either. I feel like everything I eat causes a problem. I have been experimenting with different foods to see what my gut likes and does not like. I am going through "eat this/don't eat that...do this/don't do that" in order to heal my gut. I have been eating low carb per c diff research and the advice of my doctor. I've cutout coffee, spicy food, vegetables, fruit, sugar, and flaxseed oil vitamins, and I've gone a few days at a time with no dairy. I don't really eat that many foods with gluten. I've read that gluten and dairy sensitivities are not uncommon following c diff, and I'm starting to explore those paths now.

I know c diff can be difficult to get rid of, but my BMs/health are different than when I actively had c diff: I do not have the nausea, stomach pain, cramping, or extremely strong-smelling BMs like I did prior to my c diff diagnosis. My doctor told me that I'll know if c diff comes back because I'll have the same symptoms; I do not though so that's why I'm wondering if this is just another facet for some people recovering from c diff. I just increased my Florastor dose from 1 a day to 2 in the morning & 1 at nite. I have spent countless hours over the last few months educating myself. I'm hoping to learn of others' experiences who may have had this particular issue happen. I know the post c diff journey is not the same for everyone, and it could very well take weeks, months, or even years to return to normal gut health (if ever). I'd love to hear from others who may have experienced solely (green) diarrhea BMs following c diff treatment. Help!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: WATERY DIARRHEA POST-INFECTION

Postby Ril » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:59 pm

Hello Gordita and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread with information and rules for new posters.
I hope you are still reading this site and apologize that nobody has noticed or acknowledged your post. I don’t know how it was missed.

Perhaps by now you are doing better. But what you have described is quite likely just usual recovery as your dr has told you. Many of us have had difficulty during c diff recovery. PI IBS is common. We call stool a “ new normal” and BM habits that have changed can last an indeterminate amount of time. You are very early so there is no telling how long this can last. Diet is a matter of trial and error. Eat bland and add new foods one at a time so you know what you can tolerate. You seem to already be quite knowledgeable. Try to follow the 3 day rules- unless you become glaringly ill, don’t get unduly concerned unless you have 3 or more watery stools per day for 3 days.
Stool color doesn’t matter unless it is bright red or black.

3 Florastor/ day could be irritating and might be too much fiber. You might want to try just 1in morning and 1 in evening.

Good luck and I hope you are doing well.
Rita

gordita
Brand New Poster

Postby gordita » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:40 pm

Rita, thank you so much for the response. I seem to be recovering. I don't know what exactly was going on in late Dec/January, it was as if I was getting sick all over again. I saw my doctor in January & had more tests ran including another c diff stool test which was negative (yay!). For whatever reason, my issues began improving after no known changes on my part, and I am about 95% back to normal. My body seems to tolerate all foods, and I can eat vegetables again, yay!!! Since things have improved so much, I've cut back to 1 Florastor & 1 Culturelle a day. I am so very thankful things turned around for whatever reason.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Great news. Recovery just takes time with c diff.
Should you have another problem just try to ease up on your diet again and eat bland until you stabilize. You sound like you are on your way to full recovery.
We will be here!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:54 am

My doc said the same thing as far as relapsing and he was right. I relapsed shortly after my first round of meds and it felt the same and bathroom trips were slightly less but still similar. In the last yr there were several times I thought, could this be it again. I was basically overdosing on probiotics and couldn’t figure out why I was bloated and miserable. I settled in on florastor and tried some other brands that upset my gut, I usually give a new brand a week and if it’s still uncomfortable I discontinue it. I recently began taking Phillips colon health and it’s great, maybe a little discomfort at first but it faded after a few days. Everything is trial and error from here on out for you. Loose stool doesn’t mean a relapse and cdiff recovery doesn’t mean you'll never be able to eat normal again. Good luck.

Return to “Too Much Information”