My story, seeking support

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
stig
Brand New Poster

My story, seeking support

Postby stig » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi y'all. I've been lurking on here since I was diagnosed with cdiff two and a half weeks ago. I'm a 31 y/o male in overall good health. I was given Augmentin and clindamycin for suspected periorbital cellulitis. I was put on Vanco 10 days at 125mg I believe, and the first day was my worst day of D I'd had, interestingly, and it improved the next day, with my BMs being well formed and regular for the remainder of my treatment. They remained unconcerning for a couple of days, but I ended up eating quite a bit of red meat over the weekend (camping, it was hard to resist but I think it was a mistake). I've been trying to remind myself of the 3 day rule, but this morning I find that I feel the need to post here, looking for support and insight.

I had two days of frequent BMs due to the weekend, but no watery D, and one day of 2 BM. This morning I've gone 3 times already, with two being watery and one being slightly pebbly and I have the urge to go again. Again, I'm trying not to worry too much since abnormal BMs are just part of the game, but my symptoms this morning are concerning to me.

Any advice, words of wisdom or comfort would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: My story, seeking support

Postby georgina » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:29 am

Don't worry , it's just a IBS flare up that will subside soon. Nobody here got better overnight! Careful with your diet , until your gut heals you need to stick to easy to digest foods.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 am

I hope you'll submit a report about your experience with the antibiotics you were given on the FDA's Adverse Events website (see link at bottom of my post). These reports are essential to much stronger warnings being implemented about the prescribing of these drugs, which are often given inappropriately,
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

stig
Brand New Poster

Postby stig » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks georgina and Allis. I will submit a report to the FDA.

Another question, are chills, nausea and fatigue common during recovery, or do their presence tend to indicate a recurrence? I woke up this morning feeling this way, noticeably worse than yesterday, with one water D and a formed BM closely spaced, which is a bit better than yesterday. I figure I'll see how it plays out in the next 24hrs, and if things don't improve call my doctor. Does that sound like a solid idea? I don't want to over-react or wait too long either. Tricky....

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:09 am

The nausea and fatigue are common, but not usually chills in recovery. If it keeps up, I would contact the doctor and ask.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:29 pm

I agree with Beth. If chills continue you should check in with your dr. The other symptoms are not troublesome but chills are.

stig
Brand New Poster

Postby stig » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks! The chills, fatigue and so on went away after that day. I started eating low fiber diet and that really helped slow things down. It doesn't seem like I'm tolerating fiber well at all right now.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:22 pm

Fiber is one of the most difficult things for many people to tolerate during recovery from c diff. I would avoid salad and raw veggies, high fiber cereals, sweets, fried foods, obviously you had a problem with red meat and be careful with dairy. Alcohol is definitely out. Add new foods slowly.

Good luck
Rita

Return to “Too Much Information”