Is this normal?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
NewLife
New User

Is this normal?

Postby NewLife » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi all!
So I am 7 months c diff free but still feel like my gut is pretty irritated in fact I'm not sure I would say I feel I'm improving. I still feel bloated and achy most days with relief once or twice a week...but may be it is just part of the healing and due to the trying to reintroduce foods. Anyway I'm here concerned about daily fat in my stool. I have had this issue for pretty much 7 months with no answers from either my primary or GI doctor. My stools always look oily and stick to the toilet. Sorry about the tmi. But I have asked my doctors about it and both just state it's fat malabsortion, however neither are looking for why this happening and what I can do to correct it. Originally my GI doctor was going to look for celiac disease but has dismissed this concern it seems. He does not seemed alarmed at all nor does he want to look into it further. I am wondering has anyone here had a similar issue after cdiff and if so, what did they to do fix it....if it can be fixed at all? I wonder if it has anything to do with my pancreas or something else go in on.

I'd like to add that my body temperature has been at 96.5 or 97 (rarely 97) since after cdiff and my periods are sometimes light. Again sorry for the tmi. I don't know that any of this is related. Looking for suggestions and to hear about others experiences as to what to maybe look out for.

NewLife
New User

Re: Is this normal?

Postby NewLife » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:27 pm

Advice or suggestions welcomed!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:10 pm

When you were first diagnosed with c.diff you did not have typical symptoms.
You also mentioned in another post that you had IBS symptoms before c.diff.
Its totaly possible that the positive c.diff test was just a coincidence and it's the "normal" IBS that's causing all the ongoing problems.
(A positive test without typical D is not proof of disease.)
The current symptoms all seem quite mild and your Dr seems to consider the investigations would be more stressful than the problem.
Often a Dr that does nothing is the best of all Drs.
First rule of medicine is "cause no harm".

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Body temperatures can differ by individuals with some on the lower end (which sounds where you sit) and some on the higher end. I tend to be on the lower range myself but unless it's significantly low or above 100.4* (usually means a fever) then I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Otherwise, agree with Roy. What you are describing could simply be IBS. If you haven't already, you may want to look into the Low-FODMAP diet which can often help those suffering with IBS as it cuts down, or lowers, many of the trigger foods/ingredients that can make the condition worse.

Thankfully, I don't have celiac disease but one of my best friends does and can tell you that her symptoms before her diagnosis were severe and included debilitating stomach pains, blood in her stool, and excessive diarrhea. What you are describing doesn't sound like someone who has the disease.

NewLife
New User

Postby NewLife » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks for the response. Maybe my original first post wasn't as clear or thorough so sorry about that. In that post, I stated getting cdiff after antibiotics. Here is a little more explanation of how I got cdiff. I went to urgent care because I was sick for about 2 weeks with a cold that seemed to turned into a sinus infection. My face started to hurt around my sinuses and then my gums became swollen and hurt. This pain went on for about 4 days before I went to urgent care. There the doctor said she thought it was a toothache but did not know and therefore gave me clindamycin for about 10 or 14 days. On day 3 of the antibiotics my stomach started to hurt and my bms were getting loose with mucus and more frequent. (This continued for about 2 weeks I believe it was.) So I stopped the antibiotics on day 4 but things did not improve so I went to the ER after stopping the antibiotics...that was about 2 weeks later. Anyways, I was I on a total of 3 antibiotics(clindamycin, flagyl, and vanco) which led to my ibs in addition to the infection. Prior to all this I was pretty healthy no ibs, no stomach issues, normal bms. Hope that cleared it up.
Last edited by NewLife on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

NewLife
New User

Postby NewLife » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:55 pm

I am on the low fodmap diet, but I know that's not a diet that should be long term. So I have been trying to reintroduce foods slowly. However, I still feel off but I guess I just need more time. Thanks!

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:29 pm

One thing I’ve learned is that after cdiff it can take literal years to feel better and you may never get back to what you might have considered “normal”.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:04 am

I've been on the low fodmap diet after my FMT and it helped , until i started to add back some of the foods. Hope it works for you!

NewLife
New User

Postby NewLife » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks!

Return to “Too Much Information”