How long will mucus stick around???

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Sad2017
New User

How long will mucus stick around???

Postby Sad2017 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi everyone it's been awhile since I've been back on mainly because of advice from my therapist and battling health anxiety after having c. Diff. I contracted c. Diff after taking clindamycin back in may 2017 was treated with flagyl then a week later it returned and was treated with 10 days of dificid and have been doing well since.

My question is since c. Diff on occasion I notice a little mucus in my stools. This never seems to be accompanied by any pain or diarrhea or any other symptoms. Before c. Diff I was always on the more constipated side and since I seem to be a little more regular as far as going almost daily and fairly easily except for the occasional bouts of mucus. This maybe happens a few days out of the month. Is this something common post c. Diff? If so how long does this usually last for or will it always be this way? I have seen my PCP who tells me this is not a common finding and it is concerning to her so she has referred me to a GI which I see next month but in the meantime my anxiety has sky rocketed thinking something more serious could be going on!! Can mucus be an issue this far past c. Diff? Just curious if other post c. Diff had had this happen and how things turned out for them.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How long will mucus stick around???

Postby beth22 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:17 am

My Gi said that mucus was common, even for people who have not had c diff. It just means there is irritation or inflammation. I tend to have some when I am C, but it happens sometimes, maybe due to what I eat. I would see the GI though and express your concerns.

speg
New User

Postby speg » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:40 am

I had a lot of mucus (and pinkish tissue) off/on for several weeks starting 8 days post treatment with vancomycin. My pcp consulted with a GI who told her to continue to wait/watch for other symptoms. I even sent in photos so they could see how much/consistency/color etc. The only comment I got back was "wow something really is irritated in there" (uhhh yah think!!!) I was in no pain, no fever, weight had stabilized and no D (all solids) so I took a deep breath and have been trusting my doctors so far. This week I have had zero mucus of any kind, stool at normal consistency/frequency and other then a loud belly (I'd guess due to foods like pizza and carbonated water) and a bit of constipation throughout those weeks things are OK right now.

Dr. says no D or other worrying symptoms so I shouldn't re test (many remain positive for a long time after & lab doesn't retest solid stool) or treat.

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:10 pm

Don’t stress about the mucus. I had this both before and after cdiff and a fmt. I have it more when I am dehydrated. Mucus is very common with ibs. Copious amounts with blood can be a cause for concern. Anxiety over your health can also compound the problem. As long as you are not experiencing pain and or blood it is probably minor irritation.

Return to “Too Much Information”