Post Vanco x2 relapse...am I on the right track?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Byrn09
New User

Post Vanco x2 relapse...am I on the right track?

Postby Byrn09 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:11 pm

26 year old female with my wedding next weekend. Originally end of June was put on 10 days Vanco and relapsed 3 weeks later. Then put back on Vanco this time for 14 days and then 14 day taper of every other. Now finishing up 30 days of choleystramine.
My 3 week mark is today (yay) and I feel better internally but my BMs are still all over the place. Anywhere from 2-4 a day. Some are formed and give me hope. Others are diarrhea or soft and make the water look gross because they disintegrate when you flush. My doctor did a NAAT stool test and I’m officially negative and told me if I have diarrhea to take Imodium. Any words of encouragement would be great!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Post Vanco x2 relapse...am I on the right track?

Postby beth22 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:48 am

I took Pepto Bismol during recover and it helped me. I would take that over Imodium, especially with a history of c difficile.

Byrn09
New User

Postby Byrn09 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 am

beth22 how often did you take pepto? I’m assuming it helped with the inflammation and such. I feel frustrated because they’re just all over the place even after eating bland.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:02 pm

Will your dr extend the cholestyramine? I took it for several months and it helped me. It’s a pain in the neck but if it works....

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:24 am

At first, I took Pepto with each meal, but only about a teaspoon. If the D is bad, then I would take it throughout the day, but then taper to just a teaspoon with each meal. My doctors told me to do that. I had a positive test and we were leaving for Hawaii and I did not want to be sick on the vacation. The Pepto kept everything under control and when I got back I tested and the test was negative. People who have h pylori take Pepto for weeks. In small doses it is supposed to be fine, even if the bottle says to only take it for 3 days. I actually took it for a long time.

Byrn09
New User

Postby Byrn09 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Ril,
He did extend it for me thank god! He also added enteragam as well which apparently is used with IBD patients with chronic diarrhea. Ril, did you take it? And if so for how long did you have to use it before everything went back to normal?

Byrn09
New User

Postby Byrn09 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:44 pm

beth22 thank you so much! That’s good to know. I took it when I had active cdiff but didn’t know I could take it that frequent. How long would you say you took it before things went back to normal? I’m holing since it’s been a month already that maybe in the next couple months it’ll be a lot better.

Return to “Too Much Information”