1 Year Recovery or Possible Relapse?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
jeany
Brand New Poster

1 Year Recovery or Possible Relapse?

Postby jeany » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Hello,

It is nice to be in a place where other people understand the anxieties of C Diff. I am currently approaching one year from the time I had C Diff, and I think it is playing mind games with me. When I was first diagnosed in July 2017, I had recently finished a round of antibiotics for a nail infection due to an unsanitary nail salon, which to this day is still the dumbest reason to ever aquire this ailment in my opinion. I lived with the C Diff for about 2 months before being diagnosed because I've always had IBS and previously I had been treated for H. Pylori. One round of 10 Day Flagyl cured me.

Reading these board really has helped me to understand that I am not alone nor am I crazy for feeling anxious each time my stomach falls out of sync. Lately, I have been in a cycle where I have had D more frequently. Until recently, I rarely had to even take Pepto since last year. In the last couple months or so I've woken up around 5:30-6 am with an urge to go, which was also a symptom when I have C Diff. I do take a PPI. I have not been on antibiotics but I do work in a medical setting. Today, I woke up anxious as usual, had an episode where I couldn't hold it, and had an accident, which I also had originally with the C Diff. I ended up not going to work due to embarrassment and just not feeling right. This is the first time this has happened since I had C Diff last year.

My question in all of this is: Do you think my IBS could cause the waking up early, urgency, and issues? Or do you think I could be relapsing? Part of me believes that it is either IBS or a bug because the pain in my abdomen went away after taking the pepto. I do not want to get in the habit of taking the pepto every day though, because that's what I was doing when I had active C Diff. Does anyone else go through phases like this?
Thank you and I hope for the best for every person reading this!

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: 1 Year Recovery or Possible Relapse?

Postby OCmama » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:57 am

If you continue to have stomach issues (D), urgency and any accidents, I would test. I always follow the 3 day rule, 3 days of diarrhea for 3 days before testing. But it may be worth the peace of mind that a negative test would give you. Sending good thoughts and healing vibes your way :-)

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 am

I agree with OCmama, but I would test for other things too. I would get a regular stool culture, a c diff test and even ova and parasites. I had campylobacter, which is another pathogen, after c diff and the symptoms were very similar to c diff, almost identical.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:52 am

I agree with Beth, I have also come across people who struggle with microcolitis post C. diff. It makes me feel better to know what I’m dealing with, but I only test with persistant D.

jeany
Brand New Poster

Postby jeany » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 am

Thank you for your responses. My mother is getting me the test from the hospital today that my gastroenterologist called in. He said the only way to know is to test. I wasn't expecting after taking the Pepto yesterday for it to continue today because deep down I didn't think I had C Diff. This morning though I was woken up again by my cramps and had more D, same as yesterday. Maybe I actually do have it? Either way I'm glad to be testing to make sure. I feel stressed too because I had to call out of work again, and I get 2 sick days per month. I can't really keep anything down, so what ever it is came on quickly. I will keep everyone updated and I appreciate the information.

Return to “Too Much Information”