Watery D out of nowhere

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
okaylo
Regular Contributor

Watery D out of nowhere

Postby okaylo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:49 pm

I have had cdiff many times and have had 2 FMTs to date. The last one being Oct 2016 which was successful. Recovery took a long time and I have severe IBS, gastritis, etc that I just push through daily.
Friday afternoon I had uncontrollable watery diarrhea and did not make it to the toilet in time. It felt similar to the colonoscopy prep experience but I felt ill as well with a lot of pain. It was violent and I feel like my whole system got cleared out.
I have been under extreme stress and have eaten some foods that I normally don’t but had no effects until Friday and had eaten a lot of the same things in weeks prior with no problem. Yesterday my stomach was nervous all day but no movement. Had the usual burning stomach pain that I normally do. This morning I woke up out of a dead sleep watery diarrhea again but not as severe this time. All I ate prior was some plain white bread, turkey, plain white rice and some bland turkey meatballs. I have drank lots of water to replenish fluids.
I am already terrified of getting cdiff again and have been going to therapy for some time to deal with the anxiety of it. The violent diarrhea I experienced was so similar to the first time I wound up with cdiff that it has sent me into a spiral of fear. If not that, I’m terrified I have a parasite or other infection from something I ate. This came out of nowhere. I’ve had food poisoning and h-plylori before after eating salad a number of years ago. I haven’t touched lettuce since but before the diarrhea on Friday I had eaten some chicken that was laying on a piece of lettuce garnishment and I’m freaked out that something was on the lettuce even though I didn’t eat it. I don’t want to start the vicious cycle of going to the doctor and testing for everything under the sun again. It has been a long journey of recovering from cdiff both physically, emotionally, and mentally. I am so so afraid and I’m praying the D stops. My gut is on fire and feels very inflamed. I am very tired and weak despite how much I rest. I pray to God I don’t have an infection.
Any advice?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Watery D out of nowhere

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:13 pm

If it happens again, I would call your GI ans ask if he will give you an RX to have a whole panel of tests - stool culture, ova and parasites, and c diff.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Watery D out of nowhere

Postby georgina » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Hopefully it was just a nasty IBS flare but do keep a close eye on symptoms. Try to eat as bland as you can and drink lots of fluids , also you can try drinking a cup of peppermint tea to help with gut spasm and hopefully the symptoms will subside. You can also try a binding agent , it will help bulk up your stool. If the symptoms continue or if they get worse do not hesitate to call your doctor.

Return to “Too Much Information”