Post Vanco BM frequency

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Gaconch
New User

Post Vanco BM frequency

Postby Gaconch » Mon May 14, 2018 8:27 pm

I’m 4 days post 14 days of Vanco on a primary CD infection. I’m taking Florastor 1gm per day. The last couple of days I’ve had soft stool, no D but I go 4 or 5 times a day. Could this be the probiotics? My GI doc told me to take only 2 pills a day but I’ve read about taking 4 pills a day of Florastor. How much and how long does everyone take these? Just like everyone else, I'm so nervous.

roy
Administrator

Re: Post Vanco BM frequency

Postby roy » Tue May 15, 2018 4:14 am

That sounds like typical normal recovery.
Don't be tempted to test to see if its gone, you can still test positive at this stage while your natural immunity mops up any remaining c.diff.
The only time to get concerned is if you have watery D 3 times ar more a day.
Anything else is your body fighting back and completing the "cure" the way nature intended.

Gaconch
New User

Postby Gaconch » Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 am

Thank you that’s encouraging. What make it hard to comprehend is I never really had the WD when I was diagnosed. I would have one soft BM in the morning then about an hour later I would have one that was more M. That was it for the day. Every day was the same. The nausea/vomiting was relentless though. Has anyone actually been cured with only 14 days of Vanco? I keep reading not. I’m so scared. I’ve been out of work with a total knee replacement and I go back in a week. I’m a Labor and delivery nurse and also handle newborns. I have always been the nurse that washes her hands and donned gloves so this doesn’t scare me a lot but I would never want to do harm. I just have to trust the process and hope and pray I’m cured.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:57 am

In 2014 when I had c-diff, I relapsed after a 10 day course of metronidazole (generic Flagyl). I was put back on Flagyl, which made me so sick and was finally switched to a 14 day course of vanco. The vanco cured me. You absolutely can be cured after one round of vanco. Remember most people who post on sites like this one, have had harder times. The majority of people who do recover after one round of treatment just move on with their lives.
So don't be discouraged by what you read. What you describe is very normal after finishing meds. My BMs never went back to how they were pre- cdiff. I had a new normal. I took only 2 probiotics daily while with the infection and in recovery for several years after. I am 4 years out, and still take one probiotic daily.

-Lisa

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue May 15, 2018 11:04 am

Sounds like you might be yet another patient that the Dr treated just because of a test result and not because your symptoms suggested c.diff!
Your job means the chances of being colonised are high but that's normal and not a disease!
Many of your work friends would probably test positive.

Gaconch
New User

Postby Gaconch » Tue May 15, 2018 3:21 pm

At about 5 weeks post op from my TKR I was actually an inpatient for Colitis and was getting IV Rochephin and Flagyl and was very sick. During this time I had 3 trips to the ER with one being a squad ride. I wasn’t tested in the hospital but continued being sick after I was discharged and I made an appt with a GI. I might not of had severe diarrhea but I had chills, weakness, and constant vomiting. So no, I wasn’t treated just because of the test.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:52 pm

I am with you! I took the Vanco, at least I think that is what it was, for only 10 days. I see where others took it 14 days. Very expensive stuff but I was willing to pay the price. Now, I am about 10 days out after and having loose stools. I get concerned of a relapse but in finding this site, I think I understand it could take a long time to get back to what is now going to be normal for me. I really think mine started after taking omeprazole and trying to get off of it.
What probiotics are suggested to take?? My Dr. told me very little.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:17 am

I took two VSL 3 probiotics daily during the active c-diff infection, spacing them apart from meds based on doctor's recommendation. I took 1 VSL3 and 1 Florastor daily for about two years after. I now take one probiotic daily, alternating between Florastor and Culturelle. Florastor is good to take while on c-diff meds because the meds don't kill it off since it's a yeast probiotic called sacchromyces boulardii.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks Lisa. I just ordered some of the Florastor to try. Thought they had a good price at Costco online. 49.00 for 100 pills.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:22 pm

If you go to the Florastor web site, they usually have a $6 coupon that you can download and use.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:43 pm

You cannot use coupons at Costco so check around for prices to see where you get the best prices.
I have switched to generic.

fishrman
Regular User

Postby fishrman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:29 pm

In checking around, I thought Costco price was less than any other I found so ordered it to be delivered this Thursday. Thanks!

Return to “Too Much Information”