Help! Caffeine exposure mishap!

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Kuro
Contributor

Help! Caffeine exposure mishap!

Postby Kuro » Tue May 01, 2018 7:20 am

Hi all,

So, I'm panicking and trying to not think that I'm relapsing. I know, panic doesn't help. Came looking for advice. It seemed safest to post here, as there are a couple TMI details.

Basically, I was having some C in the early AM and it was bothering me. My mother had always given me a hot mug of black tea with sugar to cure that, so that it what I was given again. It didn't occur to me that it might not be decaf and could irritate my gut, between being a stimulant and a diuretic (which is why it worked before I was ill). Of course, it is old wisdom on this site to avoid both in early recovery.

I gulped it down at 1:30 and by 2 or so, I was in the bathroom being cleared out. Ugh. Two hours later, another quick hit, this time mostly water with some dust in the bowl (my stomach was pretty empty to begin with). Third hit at 6am, BM looked formed in the bowl.

So, this has been a really bad night. I know it was the tea because, as I said, I was C until I gulped the whole mug down. At least, I hope so. I tested negative for Toxin B just the other day. To relapse now would be crushing.

Anyone have suggestions for safe ways to calm this down? Is Pepto safe and likely to help at all? Imodium? I had an important doctor's appointment today, but I can't go with my stomach feeling this uncertain. Thanks.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Help! Caffeine exposure mishap!

Postby Lisa33 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:35 am

My personal preference when I was just getting over c-diff was to stay away from any OTC meds or anything for that matter, except probiotics. I believe pepto is ok, but maybe try stopping the D through diet such as bananas or other binding foods to see if that helps first.

roy
Administrator

Re: Help! Caffeine exposure mishap!

Postby roy » Tue May 01, 2018 1:05 pm

What goes down your throat takes several hours to pass through so even a laxative takes a lot longer than half an hour to make you go!
A cup of tea would not cause D that fast.
If your now back to normal it's probably nothing to worry about.

Return to “Too Much Information”