Post antibotics, very nervous

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Girlvic
Brand New Poster

Post antibotics, very nervous

Postby Girlvic » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi all,

I am a 25 year old female who was diagnosed with C. Diff on April 4th after taking 3 rounds of antibotics for strep throat.

I was prescribed flagyl 500mgx3 for 10 days.

I was feeling quite well on the antibotics although 3 days before I finished, I started getting that bloated and crampy feeling like when I had C. Diff. My BM were soft but never formed.

It's now been 3 days since I finished the 10 days of flagyl and I feel feel gassy and crampy, having around 3 BMs a day and they've been extremely soft but not watery with a lot of gas.

I went to see my doctor today and she wants to test me again BUT after reading so much, I dont see the point of testing this soon because I could get a false negative. She also gave me 4 more days of flagyl (she said you can have a prescription for up to 14 days total). It seems pointless to go just 4 days of antibotics, especially where there are 3 days since my last pill.

What are your guys thoughts? I dont know if I'm just beyond paranoid of having a replase or what. This illness it horrible on your brain.

Thank guys and much love

roy
Administrator

Re: Post antibotics, very nervous

Postby roy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:10 pm

If you do relapse show your Dr the latest treatment guidlines.
What you describe is normal though so with average luck it's history.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20521

Personally I would not take another 4 days of flagyl after a 3 day break.
Dr might not know much about how or why meds work,
This is my understanding.
10 days of flagyl is considered a single treatment or one "dose" (so is 14 days.)
Both methods kill a lot of bugs good and bad, then it's a race between good and bad to regrow.
If good wins your cured.
Hit your gut flora while its 3 days into recovering with another 4 days of flagyl and the more susceptible bugs are killed but the strong c.diff spore is not so the bad bugs have an advantage.
Vanco kills less good bugs and Dificid kills even less.
Using those drugs gives your good bugs a better chance of winning the recovery race resulting in fewer relapses.

Return to “Too Much Information”