1st Relapse or New Normal

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
Meshell
New User

1st Relapse or New Normal

Postby Meshell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:27 am

Here I am 2am, full of questions and anxiety again. It has been 7 days since my last dose of Vanco. I am on 1cup kefir, VSL3 1/3 of capsule and Florastor x4. I am 1 day if not hours away from my first menstral cycle post cdiff. I am having mild menstral cramps and My BM’s have been deteriorating. I has 2x bm between 5-6 in Bristol. Then 2x throughout the day a small amount of mucus only or sweet potatoes purée, not sure. Now 2am my toddler wakes up crying and it triggers me to run to bathroom with mild IBS and menstrsl cramps to pass a small to mod amount of bm between 5-6 on Bristol. I’m cranky but think it’s related to my period.

No fever, tired of course, some appetite, and have a full bottle of Vanco preemptively prescribed my my GP due to the Easter holiday in case of relapse.

No my friends, do I wait to see if this is all bad timing and menstral related or do I just restart my 2nd round of Vancouver and taper. The doc left it up to me, “if symptoms return”. I know the 3 day rule you speak of on here. I’m just so scared to wait and get sicker.

Historically my bowels would get cranky around my period so Im just so stuck on this conondrum, any helpful words are appreciated.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: 1st Relapse or New Normal

Postby Ril » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:03 pm

If it were me I would definitely wait. You are not having watery d. You already have said you typically get cramps and some GI disturbance around the time of menses. You are also taking a lot of probiotics when you factor in kefir and I would take a look at whether or not that might be too much for you now that you are off vanco.
Not everyone can tolerate every product.

Follow the 3 day rule and don’t panic. PI IBS is entirely possible and you are early in recovery. Stools are not “normal” early on. Going on meds unnecessarily is the worst thing you can do as it will wipe out more good gut flora so wait until you do need it.

Best of luck to you.
Rita

Meshell
New User

Postby Meshell » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:30 pm

Most appreciated! Things do have seem to have settled considerably. I’m sorry to seem like such an alarmist but I have never once had a food that didn’t agree with me or anything other than minor normal bowel issues. This is all quite a shock and totally out of my frame of reference. I’m terrified to get sick again after two weeks of missed work with a two small boys under 4. Anxiety is high!!! Thank you again for your response!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:15 am

I second Ril's suggestion to wait and to cut back on the probiotics. Anxiety is normal when it comes to C. diff. It's an unsettling experience, to say the least. However, as your recovery takes hold the anxiety will gradually recede.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Return to “Too Much Information”