Is Smell a Sign of Post FMT Relapse?

Since c-diff is a disease of the "lower half", so to speak, we find that many of our members cannot refrain from discussing what comes out the bottom end. If you must do it, please do it here.
FrankS
Regular User

Is Smell a Sign of Post FMT Relapse?

Postby FrankS » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:55 pm

Fellow Sufferers:

I had an FMT done 4 weeks ago after numerous rounds of antibiotics to treat C-Diff. The original infection started Aug 1. About 2 weeks after the FMT some D started happening again, only once or twice a day, and it has the same fetid smell of C-Diff. I have been tested twice but both were negative - the lab does the PCR and EIA tests.

I might not be concerned but I have rectal burning and pain almost always - this started maybe 6 weeks before my FMT and still persists. It is difficult to sit or bend over. The C-Diff got into my rectal area (I think) and that combined with the fetid smell, leaves me to think I still have C-Diff, though I have been tested negative. I do have internal hemorrhoids but don't think that is the cause. My doc did a quick look at my anus and said it looked fine.

So is the fetid smell a decent indicator that I still have C-Diff? Could it be a weakened infection where the smell persists but isn't strong enough for the test to show positive?

Thank you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Is Smell a Sign of Post FMT Relapse?

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:50 am

I have had bad smell because of having an imbalance of good vs bad bacteria. Are you taking any probiotics or eating yogurt or kefir. This can happen without having c difficile. If you tested negative, then the cause is probably something else. Sometimes when the food does not get digested sufficiently this can also happen. People with gall bladder or pancreas problems sometimes have these issues. I know my doctor recommended digestive enzymes for me. I would speak to your doctor about it and ask if either enzymes or some other supplement might not help. There is a product called EnteraGam that is helpful with IBS-D.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Smell doesn't mean much , it can be due to malabsorbtion ,or as Beth said can be due to dysbiosys.

FrankS
Regular User

Postby FrankS » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Yes Beth I am eating yogurt and kefir, though I was told to hold off on probiotics until 60 to 90 days after the procedure. Hopefully this is not c-diff coming back. Except for the first two weeks I came down with this, I never frequently had to go to the bathroom so that is a measure I cannot use for relapse. I am having foul-smelling gas occasionally so maybe this is a good vs bad bacteria issue that will clear up.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 pm

I had "that" smell when I recently got hit by a stomach virus so do believe it can often occur when there is a lack/imbalance of bacteria and since an FMT requires a colonoscopy prep that means you flushed out some of your natural bacteria which will take time to replenish.

Return to “Too Much Information”